Wednesday, 9 November 2011

Active Manuka Honey



I first discovered Manuka Honey's healing powers about seven years ago when I was advised to take it to help with reflux I was experiencing due to a hiatus hernia and I have been taking a spoonful in the morning and a spoonful at night ever since. The most remarkable thing I have noticed is that I haven't had a cold since I started taking it! As soon as I start to feel a sore throat developing, I take a spoonful of honey and then another one every hour until it goes away.


For thousands of years honey has been well recognised for its healing powers. Local honey, for example, is supposed to help sufferers of hay fever. Manuka Honey is produced by bees that gather pollen from the flowers of the Manuka tree (Leptospermum scoparium) which is indigenous to New Zealand and also known as the Tea Tree Plant. UMF is an acronym for Unique Manuka Factor which is an antibacterial property present in Active Manuka Honey. This antibacterial property is not found in other types of honey and is only present in some of the manuka honey produced. It is this property that makes Active Manuka Honey special!


Active Manuka Honey has been used successfully to treat stomach ulcers and a purified form of Active Manuka Honey is now widely used in the treatment of leg ulcers and pressure sores. Further research is currently taking place to examine its potential to treat superbug infections such as MRSA. 

If you want to purchase the honey and make sure the Active Manuka Honey you buy is genuine, you need to look out for the following :
  • the UMF trademark on the front label
  • the honey is packed into jars and labelled in New Zealand
  • the supplier is licensed to use the UMF trademark
  • the supplier's license number is on the label
  • it has a rating of UMF10 or higher

One jar lasts me about three weeks. Warning! It's expensive, almost £20 for a single jar in the UK, yet I feel it's worth every penny!





This post is linked to Naomi Devlin's Go Ahead Honey, it's Gluten Free Event, Foods that Heal, hosted by Maggie of She let them Eat Cake in January 2012.




Please come and say hello on Facebook and Twitter ! 


This was linked to Gallery of FavoritesFreaky FridayFight Back Friday

8 comments:

  1. Interesting! I am suffering from a cold right now, so I will have to look into this.

    I love the look of your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Alea! I hope it works for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for commenting on my blog! This does sound very intriguing. Maybe one day I'll be able to afford it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you know how long it stays good?

    ReplyDelete
  5. If you mean the use by date - on my jar it's 3 years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely need to work honey into my list of regular power foods! Thank you for reminding me and sharing this with Foods That Heal!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm definitely going to try this every hour whenever I feel another cold coming on! Thank you so much!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Leah! Thanks for popping over to read this! It works for me and many others - it's worth buying to stay well, I think!

      Delete