I should have looked at other recipes of caramelised pears before making this! I've always taken out the core as well as the stem but apparently you can make the pears look much prettier if you just use a melon baller (I couldn't find mine) to take out the core and leave the stems intact for a more "impressive presentation". That said, these are much easier to eat!
Sainsbury's sent me a packet of flaked almonds to use this month and I thought they would be lovely sprinkled on top of the pears.
They taste heavenly but BE WARNED, they're very sweet! For that reason I think it would be nice to serve with yogurt, yogurt cheese or a soft cheese like mascarpone. Alternatively if you want a dairy free alternative, my vanilla cashew cream would work perfectly.
Caramelised Pears GF SCD
6 pears (ripe but still firm)
25 g flaked almonds
30 g butter or vegan spread (not SCD)
3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (not SCD)
1 medium organic orange (without the wax)
- Set the oven to 160° C (fan/convection oven).
- Cut the pears in half then core them preferably using a melon baller - there is a great tutorial here. Leave the stems intact or remove them if you wish. Peel the pears and leave in water or dip in some lemon juice while you prepare the other fruit.
- Place in an oven proof dish and dot with the butter or vegan spread.
- Wash and zest the orange and sprinkle it over the pears.
- squeeze the orange then pour the juice over the pears.
- Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup.
- Bake in the oven, initially for about 35 - 40 minutes, turning the pears after about 15 minutes and regularly basting the pears with the juice.
- After about 35 minutes, take out of the oven and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Put back into the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes and continue to baste with the juice.
- The pears are ready when golden and soft.
To find out about new posts please join me on Facebook and Twitter or you can subscribe by email (top right)
This recipe is linked to Fat Tuesday, Hearth and Soul Blog Hop, Allergy Free Wednesdays, Full Plate Thursday, Whole Food Fridays,