I decided to improve my grain free Christmas cake recipe this year and I thought you might like the recipe since it has turned out so well! Christmas Cake is a favourite in our house and Christmas just wouldn't be the same without it.
Grain Free Christmas Cake GF SCD
100g organic sultanas
100 g mixed dried berries
4 tblsps whisky
60g sliced almonds
50g organic apricots
85g organic dates
grated rind one unwaxed lemon
grated rind one unwaxed orange
225g almond flour
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tsps lemon juice
1 tsp mixed spice
¼ tsp sea salt
- The night before you make the cake tip the raisins, sultanas, dried berries, dates, chopped apricots, the orange and the lemon rinds into a bowl and pour over the four tablespoons of whisky. Cover with a lid or cling film and give it a shake every time you walk past!
- Set the oven to 140°C. Line a 15cm round tin with double thickness greaseproof paper or a 2lb loaf tin.
- Measure out the ground almonds (almond flour) and tip into the bowl with the salt, spices and bicarbonate of soda.
- Add the flaked almonds and the lemon juice to the soaked fruit.
- In another bowl cream the butter and honey.
- Whisk in the eggs.
- Fold in the fruit and the flour blend into the mix alternating between the two until all the ingredients have been folded in.
- Tip into the prepared tin then cook for between 1½ hours and 2¼ hours. Cover with a sheet of parchment paper after an hour. The cake is ready when a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean and the top of the cake is firm and springs back when lightly touched.
- To store, I wrap mine in a double piece of greaseproof paper and wrap with foil. I then put it into a freezer bag and store in the fridge.