Thursday 12 December 2013

Mulled Wine and Fig Tarts


Mulled wine is sweetened red wine slowly heated with spices and served warm during the Winter months. With a history dating back to the Romans when it was enjoyed as a tonic, its popularity as a Christmas drink today is probably due to a mention of it in Charles Dickens' "A Christmas Carol".
'Here is a glass of mulled wine ready to our hand at the moment; and I say, 'Uncle Scrooge''.  'Well. Uncle Scrooge',  they cried.
'A Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to the old man, whatever he is' said Scrooge's nephew.
I've not been too keen on mulled wine in the past. We were always served it at school Christmas events and it was awful! Acidic and nasty! But for the last couple of years I've started to change my mind. My eldest brought some over last year and it made a lovely start to Christmas Day. I've never tried to make it myself though I believe it is quite simple. Maybe that's a project for next year!



Sainsbury's Taste The Difference Mulled Wine is a German wine described as "a rich, warming mulled wine with citrus fruit favours and spicy notes. Silky smooth and fruity red wine has been carefully blended with flavours of orange peel, cinnamon, cloves and vanilla to create this festive winter warmer".



This is a beautiful, sweet and subtly spiced mulled wine and so different from any other I've tasted. Deeply coloured with shades of red and purple, it's smooth and delicious. It suggests on the bottle to serve with mince pies but I served it with my fig tarts instead and they complimented each other beautifully.

I hope you all have a lovely Christmas!

To find out about new posts please join me on Facebook and Twitter or you can subscribe by email (top right)