Monday, 20 June 2016

Vegetarian SCD Food

Butternut Squash Burgers  mushroom and butternut squash discs, courgette slices, spring onions, tomato passata and diced garlic

If you're a vegan or vegetarian the SCD (Specific Carbohydrate Diet) may seem quite daunting but with a bit of creativity and support from those around you, it's not as difficult as you may think. To give you further encouragement, I thought you might like to take a glimpse of some of the amazing food my son and his girlfriend have recently prepared for themselves

The fantastic veggie burgers above have been created using the delicious Crusty Onion Rolls recipe from Healing Foods - Cooking For Celiacs, Colitis, Crohn's and IBS: Paleo & Specific Carbohydrate Diets by Sandra Ramacher.  There's no actual burger in these buns, instead they're assembled with a mountain of vegetables. Slices of courgette and mushrooms, spring onions and a drizzle of tomato passata mixed with garlic pieces are piled inside two roasted butternut squash discs.

Assembling the SCD Butternut Squash Burgers

Sometimes they just fill the bread rolls with roasted vegetables...

SCD Cheese and Onion Veggie Sandwich

They added some tomatoes to this simple almond bread...

SCD Almond and Tomato Bread

and made cheese on toast...

Grilled Cheese on SCD Almond and Tomato Bread

Red bean paste stuffed coconut flour pancakes... 

Grain Free & SCD Coconut Flour Pancakes with Red Bean Paste


Grain Free & SCD Coconut Flour Pancakes with Red Bean Paste

This mini plum and raspberry birthday cake was made using my sponge cake recipe.

SCD Raspberry & Plum Birthday Cake


SCD Raspberry & Plum Birthday Cake

And lastly, having seen my basic hasselback courgette recipe, they created their own tasty, colourful version. They stuffed garlic cloves in between a few of the slices, added mushrooms, peppers, chestnuts and tomatoes to the tray finishing it with a light drizzle of passata over the top before baking in the oven.

Hasselback Courgettes with Chestnuts, Tomatoes, Peppers, Garlic and Mushrooms & drizzled with Passata

I hope you've enjoyed looking at these lovely photos, a big thank you to both of them for letting me share them with you.


40 comments:

  1. I've never heard of SCD, but these recipes all look great! Especially that Hasselback Courgette - very creative!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jenn, the SCD is a grain free diet for IBD which can be quite overwhelming at first but once you get the hang of it, the food is delicious.

      Delete
  2. I'm new to the SCD concept - thank you for sharing! These look so delicious and fulfilling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari, they're getting quite clever in the kitchen.

      Delete
  3. That sponge! <3 Looks incredible! Actually, this all does... What's the bun made of?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thanks Aimee, the SCD sponge recipe never lets me down when I make it, I even made a swiss roll using the recipe over Christmas. The bun is made with almond flour, cheese, onion and I think they add garlic to it too - so not vegan, I'm afraid and it is quite impossible to convert due to the amount of dairy in it. However, it is one of the best recipes I've come across for a savoury SCD bread roll.

      Delete
  4. What a fabulous selection they have here - I love the courgette hasselback, brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, they love their veggies!

      Delete
  5. Oh my goodness what a delicious looking selection of goodies those pancakes look absolutely amazing! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sarah, they're especially good with peanut butter and caramelised banana!

      Delete
  6. Yummy YUM! I defiantly want to try to make the vegan burgers! Those look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do don't they! Thank you Candice!

      Delete
  7. Oh wow these look great, I love the idea of the almond bread cheese thing x

    ReplyDelete
  8. There are some brilliant recipes here. I was especially interested as I have Crohn's Disease and know that diet plays a really important role.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry you are suffering from Crohn's Disease Tori, have you tried the Specific Carbohydrate Diet? It put my son's disease into remission - 10 years ago.

      Delete
  9. I had heard of SCD as a friend of mine has horrific IBS but was never too sure what it was and was a bit scared to ask her ha x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your friend is getting better now, yes, I can imagine it's not really something you want to discuss.

      Delete
  10. The food looks amazing! I love the look of the almond bread with added tomatoes :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've never heard of SCD - it should probably look it up as I have a horrible stomach disorder often triggered by food. I'm also vegetarian and loving these recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! Sorry to hear you're having problems, I hope you find out what's causing them.

      Delete
  12. I've never heard of SCD either! I love the look of that sponge cake :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. The plum and raspberry cake looks yummy, I might try that x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it was a lovely birthday surprise, it does look good!

      Delete
  14. I am a veggie and have IBS/ various other digestion problems and at the moment my bowels are suffering. The red bean pancake sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sorry to hear that :( So many people have IBS when they follow a Vegetarian diet Ana, we worked out that we ate too many grain based meals, cutting back has helped us tremendously. The SCD is a much stricter way of eating and restricts all grains and sugars.

      Delete
  15. These definitely looked good to me. I've considered going vegetarian before and I'd be happy with some dishes like these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, there's a lot more to a vegetarian diet than you can imagine, thank you Liz.

      Delete
  16. I think that some people just think vegetarians only eat carbs, but there is so much more to it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Dannii, and I'm afraid we fell into that trap a little years ago - for convenience. Restricting or cuttin back on certain carbs is a much healthier way to go.

      Delete
  17. I enjoyed looking at all these yummies so much that I am hungry now. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stella, it made me hungry writing it!

      Delete
  18. Yummy and perfect dishes I have been looking for. I find it hard to skip rice but now, with these dishes, I can easily fill in my stomach. The Red bean paste stuffed coconut flour pancakes would be my initial try. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Everything looks so yummy! I had never heard of SCD before x

    ReplyDelete
  20. Those burgers look delicious! They've definitely got my mouth watering x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Love the sound of tomato bread and the. Turning it into cheese on toast is genius!

    ReplyDelete
  22. All those meals look amazing, especially the rolls and cheesy tomato toast! I am doing some major paper decluttering and came across a recipe from Sandra Ramacher the other day. One of my friends who follows SCD had made it for a support group meeting long ago. It was not a vegetarian recipe, but I do remember it being delicious!

    xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've never heard of SCD but you've made some amazing looking food!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I think at the beginning for all new diets or lifestyles it can be daunting but once you get yourself educated on the new lifestyle then you will find many recipes to cater for your needs. The food here looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  25. ive never heard of SCD but it was insightful! the food looks absolutely delish

    ReplyDelete