Friday, 27 May 2016

SCD Ice Cream

Vanilla Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt SCD

Did you know that you can create soft, velvety, easy to scoop SCD ice cream from SCD Yogurt Cream? By adding natural fruits and nuts to flavour the yogurt cream, along with a little honey, it's possible to recreate all your favourite flavours. Now it's getting warmer in the UK, I've been reminded of the ice cream recipes I created a few years ago so I've gathered them together in one post so you can find them more easily.

I bought a very inexpensive ice cream maker years ago and it's become one of my favourite gadgets in the kitchen and in the Summer months I couldn't possibly be without it. If you can afford one, you won't regret your purchase and it should last for years.

If you don't eat dairy products, coconut cream also works well to make delicious SCD legal ice cream but be aware that many coconut milks contain additives or if not, are very expensive. I now make ice cream with cashew nut cream because we largely follow a dairy free diet but I've never been able to recreate the wonderful smoothness of the SCD yogurt ice cream.

Just click on the pictures or links for the recipes.


Vanilla Ice Cream or Frozen Yogurt SCD

Coffee Ice Cream with Hazelnuts and White Chocolate

Coffee Ice Cream with Hazelnuts and White Chocolate Chips


Apricot and Pistachio Ice Cream

Toffee Ice Cream

Toffee Ice Cream

Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream

Raspberry Ripple Ice Cream

If you would like to receive notifications of my healthy, vegan and vegetarian recipes, please subscribe by email (top right).


12 comments:

  1. Inspired by Aimee's recipe book, I've been making my ice creams with coconut milk for this past year or so (I haven't tried cashew cream yet). I tend to use organic coconut milks that don't have any nasty additives. All the ice creams you've shown above look so beautiful! I especially love the sound of the Coffee Ice Cream with Hazelnuts and White Chocolate. I'll definitely have to try and create a version of this ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sharon. My daughter borrowed my book, I'm waiting to receive it back, Aimee's recipes are amazing! Cashew cream is good and I love the Booja Booja ice cream but I can't get mine as creamy as they can. I read somewhere that it's best to freeze cashew ice cream in tubs with a small surface area so I'm going to try that next. I am so happy to recently discover that Biona's coconut milk is back to being additive free. I emailed them just to make sure so I think a combination of the cream from the coconut milk plus the cashew cream might actually deliver a creamier result. If you make the white chocolate, use cashew cream and a neutral tasting liquid sweetener for best results.

      Delete
  2. Yum, some lovely ideas for ice cream flavour combinations here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What perfect timing. Here in Philadelphia we are having a heat wave ( it's been 90 for the past 3 days!) I would love a bowl of cold, healthy ice cream. Thanks for the round -up of your ice cream recipes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judee, you're most welcome! We've just had a mini heatwave too(though not as hot as you), quite unusual for the UK, I've spent most of my time outside over the past week.

      Delete
  4. Oh my, these looks so good, I'm rather desperate for some ice cream now. The apricot and pistachio in particular has my name written al over it. I don't have an ice-cream maker, so have to remember to take it out of the freezer every hour or so and blitz it - I don't always remember.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, we've all been craving ice cream too recently! Hasn't the weather been good to us though we are now preparing for rain up North - a whole week of it!

      Delete
  5. Delicious flavour combinations - I'm spoilt for choice! If I absolutely HAD to choose it would have to be apricot and pistachio!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Chris, the apricot and pistachio flavour was a request from my son and I was quite surprised by how delicious it is!

      Delete
  6. Those all look outstanding, Vicky! I'll go for all the non-fruity ones. ;-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley, like you, when we're out I never pick fruity flavours, preferring chocolate, vanilla or anything with hazelnuts in it. I'll miss my visit to Canada this year, there's an awesome ice cream shop in Oakville, Ontario called "Chocolate Alphabet and Casa del Gelato" which we look forward to visiting when we're there.

      Delete