Tuesday, 3 July 2012

Grain Free Peach Pudding Cakes & Peach Muffins GF SCD


Peaches, who can resist these velvety, orange, red, plump, juicy and sweet fruit. An excellent source of Vitamin C and moderate source of Vitamin A and β-Carotene, peaches also provide the diet with potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and copper as well as the flavonoid poly-phenolic antioxidants - lutein, β-cryptoxanthin, and zeaxanthin. These compounds help scavenge harmful oxygen-derived free radicals and reactive oxygen species (ROS) from the body that play a role in ageing and various disease process.

Years ago, my favourite pudding was the Peach Pudding Cake recipe from Delia Smith's Book of Cakes. Since cooking grain-free I've always intended to try and adapt it because the flavours of the spices are just perfect with the sweet, luscious fruit.


However, it wasn't until I created my plain sponge cake recipe that I realised I could actually do it! These little cakes are different from the original recipe because I put the fruit in the bottom of the tin instead of laying them on top.


I decided to split the batter and make six muffins/cupcakes and six pudding cakes.


Peach Pudding Cakes GF SCD 


250g Ground Almonds
3 large eggs
3 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
80ml acacia honey 
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tblsp pure vanilla extract (alcohol, water and vanilla only)
pinch salt
1 - 3 tsps cinnamon
½ - 1½ tsps nutmeg 
2 - 3 ripe peaches
about 60ml honey (1 tsp for every cake)
extra virgin olive oil or butter to grease the pan

This recipe will make 12 peach pudding cakes. If you use scales, the recipe will work fine but I can't guarantee the results if you use conversions to cups. Grease a muffin tin with some extra virgin olive oil or use butter if you can eat dairy. If you can find a tin with straight sided cups, I've noticed that the grain-free muffins and cup cakes rise much better. I use a Pyrex Muffin Tin.

Heat the oven to 170° C (fan oven). Peel and slice the peaches. If you use very ripe peaches the skins come away very easily. If not, place them in a bowl then pour hot water over them and let them sit for a couple of minutes.


Slice the peaches thinly.


Pour a teaspoon of honey into each cup.


Lay three or four slices of peach in the cup on top of the honey.


Measure out the spices and mix well together. 
Scatter some of the cinnamon and nutmeg over the peaches. You could also sprinkle some in the honey before adding the fruit. Be generous and if you run out, mix up some more, just remember to use the proportions of 2:1 cinnamon to nutmeg.


Following the instructions for my plain sponge cake, mix the cake batter. Pour some of the mixture on top of the peaches to about three quarters of the way up.


Bake in the bottom half of the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean.


You wouldn't believe it but the first time I made these I squealed with excitement when I saw how they turned out!


If necessary, loosen them gently with a knife around the edge and leave them to cool for a couple of minutes before tipping out. Quickly turn the pan upside down on to a plate or cooling rack. If some of the peaches fall off the top, just place them back on.


Serve straight away with vanilla yogurt cream, vanilla yogurt ice cream, an SCD legal egg custard, dairy free cream or dairy cream.


As an alternative, you could try the recipe with the spices can be added into the cake batter just remember to also add some on to the fruit as well for that extra spicy kick!

Peach Muffins GF SCD 


Use the recipe for
 the Peach Pudding Cakes above. Peel and slice the peaches then chop them into small pieces.


Heat the oven to 170° C (fan oven). 
Following the instructions for my plain sponge cake, mix the cake batter, adding the spices to the almond flour. Vary the amount of spices to taste, I think they taste lovely with the larger measurements. Also, if you have read my post about cinnamon, the flavour can vary depending on which type of cinnamon it is. Add the chopped peaches and pulse a couple of times.


Line a tin with muffin cases and pour the batter into the cases until just over half full. Once more, I recommend the type of tin mentioned above.


Bake in the bottom half of the oven for 20 to 25 minutes until they bounce back when gently pressed or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean. Remove from the tin and cool on a cooling rack.


These are also nice warm.


If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).


43 comments:

  1. Vicky...GASP!

    These are absolutely gorgeous. I'm making these tomorrow first thing (but I will be making with apricots, as I have a bunch about to go bad). I will make again with peaches. Peaches are my favorite. I love their tart/sweet flavor. The perfect summer fruit.

    I love all your fabulous pictures too. Thank you for this great recipe, Vicky.

    Have a wonderful rest of your week. :-)

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Amber on this one--WOW! Fresh local peaches are my weakness this time of year (OK really I could eat them every day!) This recipe is filled with such nourishing ingredients and packed with protein. I am sharing this awesome recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait for peaches to come back into season!

    I found you via Whole Food Wednesday. I linked in a post about spicy mince lettuce cups. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always think of peaches as a huge treat, love them! Thank you for popping round Carole!

      Delete
  4. Yummy! Love peaches, and these look mouthwatering! Lots of peaches at our farmer's market at the moment....off to buy some I think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wish we had great farmers markets here! Thank you for visiting Debbie!

      Delete
  5. Hi Vicky,
    Peaches are one of my favorite summertime fruits and this dessert is just awesome. I can't wait to make this! Hope you are having a great holiday week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree with you! Peaches are one of my favourite fruits! Years ago, we used to go to my Grandma's for Sunday tea and there was always a bowl of Peaches and Cream for dessert in Summer!

      Have a lovely weekend Miz Helen!

      Delete
  6. Love, love, love these!!! So glad to have found your website through Amee's Savory Dish!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ann! I've just popped over to your blog, I love the idea of blueberries and peaches in a cake!

      Delete
  7. Hi Vicky,

    These were awesome! I just love your sponge cake recipe! I used apricots (as I had a bunch in the fridge). I added the cinnamon into the batter (because I just love it). Really great recipe, Vicky! It paired very well with my SCD dairy free vanilla bean ice cream. Oh my...so good!

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Amber, I'm really pleased you enjoyed them! You can be my taste tester, wish we lived closer! Oh and your ice-cream is wonderful! I was going to add the idea of mixing the spices into the batter as an alternative because I think it would work wonderfully, then I took it out lol, thank you for trying it, I'll add that back into the post x

      Delete
  8. I love peaches and they are at the height of their season here in Texas. Peach Pudding Cake is a new concept - we usually make cobblers with our peaches (if we don't eat them all first). Your recipe hasi inspired me to try it - soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I hope you try them Gretchen! Use scales for the batter though if you can.

      Delete
  9. WOW!!! I'm drooling! You make them look so easy Vicky!!! :):):):)

    Look at me... Sunday morning and the amount of smiley's I've put in the first line.. that is too much for *me* too! :-D

    Thanks for sharing them at Sugar Free Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so pleased Sugar Free Sunday is back...and they are easy Sonia, I don't do difficult!

      Delete
  10. Vicky, these cakes are absolutely gorgeous! I love your recipe adaptation!!! Look for your feature on my blog later this afternoon. Have a wonderful day! Amee's Savory Dish

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amee! So happy that your readers liked them!

      Delete
  11. Hi Vicky,

    I'll be featuring your recipe tomorrow on AFW!!

    Love it.

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  12. These look so good! I like that you can use the same ingredients for muffins or cakes; those cakes are so cute! Although my family and I can eat gluten, I like the idea of using ground almonds for their flavour and texture. This is a seriously delicious post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April, it means a lot coming from you, the creator of the most delicious cakes!

      Delete
  13. These look pretty, and tasty too! Thank you for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for popping over and commenting!

      Delete
  14. Hi There Vicky,

    I featured your awesome recipe this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays. Your recipe and other highlights can be seen here: http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/07/allergy-free-wednesdays-week-25-july-11.html

    Please join us again this week for more allergy-free fun and inspiration.

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  15. Like Amber, I featured these great 2 recipes this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays as well. In addition to the feature on my site, I also mention it on my Facebook page and pin it on pinterest. You can find the feature here:

    http://willingcook.com/allergy-free-wednesdays-july-11-2012/

    We hope to see you back again this week!
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Michelle, I really appreciate this!

      Delete
  16. Highlighting your peach recipe on Hearth & Soul Hop at Savoring Today this week! YUM! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for sharing this delicious muffins and cakes with Hearth and Soul blog hop. I am highlighting this recipe on this week's Hearth and Soul Blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  18. skinnysweetsdaily.com21 July 2012 at 15:52

    Muffins look so delish! You haave a great blog!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Mmmm, these look like a great way to enjoy peaches!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow, This tasted so Well.. I was looking for a recipe for Puddings and found your blog.. So I tried your recipe and I Loved it, my family loved it, and my neighbours loved it :) Thank You..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, so kind of you to let me know! I'm going to visit your blog now! I love the name!

      Delete
  21. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures' Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

    Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just made these and they are yummy! Here's a picture of one I've turned right side up (and immediately thereafter eaten):
    http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/560674_10102793240036391_1213892873_n.jpg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lovely Hannah! Mmmm, I haven't had one in a while! Really pleased you enjoyed them and thank you so much for taking a photo!

      Delete
  23. Hello, these look really good, is there any chance you could list the US measurements equivalent in cups to grams & ml? amounts? Would really appreciate it!
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi

      Thank you! I have a measurement tab at the top of the blog which might help. 1 (Canadian) cup of almond flour is 240ml and weighs about 96 grams just spooned in and not packed. So try 2 and a half cups almond flour. A tablespoon measure is 15ml, a third of a (Canadian) cup is 80ml and use 3 extra large eggs (US egg size). Hope that helps!

      Delete
  24. Peaches just say summer to me! I love your Peach Pudding Cakes and Muffins, Vicky. What lovely recipes - I'm thinking of serving the Peach Pudding Cakes when we next have a dinner party :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April and they do - I expect you miss those lovely Canadian peaches - I do! You could use a normal Victoria Sandwich cake mix and they would work perfectly!

      Delete