Friday, 2 March 2012

Vegetable and Cashew Nut Curry GF SCD


This is a very lightly spiced dish which goes nicely with Cauliflower Rice if you are following the SCD or brown basmati rice if you're not.


Vegetable and Cashew Nut Curry GF SCD

500g carrots
250g cauliflower
250g frozen peas
60g cashew nuts
1 large onion
2 cloves garlic
½ tsp mustard seeds
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp turmeric
½ tsp ground coriander
½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp paprika
2 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
½ litre water (or 1 pint)
salt and pepper


Measure out the spices.




Measure out the cashew nuts, we buy organic cashews.




Prepare the carrots. Peel and cut into batons.




Tip into a pan and pour the water over the top. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes.




Drain the carrots and save the water.




Thinly slice the onion and crush the garlic.




Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a deep frying pan. Fry the cumin and mustard seeds in the hot oil for a minute or two, add the onion and garlic and continue to fry for about ten minutes, stirring regularly. Add the turmeric, ground coriander, garam masala and paprika to the pan and stir well.




Pour over some of the drained carrot water and cook for about 5 to ten minutes until the oil separates from the liquid and you can see it in the water.




Add the cauliflower (we used frozen) cashews and carrots to the pan, season with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt and pour over the rest of the carrot water.




Cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes then add the frozen peas.




Simmer for about 5 minutes until the peas are just cooked adding a little more water if necessary.






Please come and say hello on Facebook and Twitter ! 




This recipe is linked to Fresh Bites FridayFriday Food FlicksWellness WeekendGallery of FavoritesSugar Free SundayMonday ManiaFat TuesdayHearth and Soul HopAllergy-Free WednesdaysReal Food WednesdayGluten-Free Wednesdays

12 comments:

  1. Vicki,

    Ah, this is so weird! We have such similar tastes in food! I have nearly this exact same recipe (I add cranberries and eat it raw)! Sometimes I roast everything (and add in the peas at that point), but I generally keep it raw, oh and I use a jarred green curry paste. But I should really make my own so this is a good reminder! I love your combination.

    So I can tell from the recipe that this is delicious! Great job.

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love veg curries, but haven't tried to make them for ages. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amber - I'm really looking forward to your version and the roasted version sounds yum!

    Debbie - You're welcome! We eat them at least twice a week - especially if my husband's doing the cooking!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can just imagine how delicious your vegetable and cashew nut curry smells while it is cooking! Those spices are wonderful, and we just love cashews. I also like the cauliflower rice - excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks absolutely delicious! I pinned this recipe and want to make it soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you April, cashew nuts are a great addition to Indian curries and rice dishes.

    I hope you enjoy it Laura! Isn't Pinterest great for keeping your "must make" recipes to hand?

    ReplyDelete
  7. i love this recipe! cashews, peas and cauliflower are seriously some of my favorite ingredients! yay for curries!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Junia! Mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks great! Thanks for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks Eryn! I appreciate your feedback!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am making this for dinner tonight. it is a delicious, easy, stovetop dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hope you enjoy it Alea!

    ReplyDelete