Monday, 27 February 2012

Beetroot, Carrot, Apple & Walnut Salad GF SCD


The deep, rich colour of beetroot makes salads very attractive and packed full of nutrients. It contains a unique source of phytonutrients called betalains which have been proven to have anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. A source of folate, manganese, potassium, vitamin C, tryptophan, magnesium, iron, phosphorus and copper, this sweet vegetable is also believed to be good for the heart and a great liver cleanser.

Beetroot, Carrot, Apple and Walnut Salad GF SCD

salad leaves (I used rocket, spinach and watercress)

1 large red apple
3 cooked beetroot
1 medium carrot
30g walnut pieces
½ lemon
2 or 3 tblsps walnut oil (or extra virgin olive oil)
bunch of chives
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper


  • Chop the apple into small pieces.
  • Tip into a bowl and squeeze the juice from half a lemon on to it. Chop the beetroot.
  • Tip into the bowl and mix together.
  • Grate the carrot and add to the bowl.
  • Mix well together and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Tip the walnut pieces into a frying pan and toast for a minute or two over a medium heat.
  • Tip some salad leaves into a dish and pour the beetroot, apple and carrot over the top. Sprinkle with the walnut pieces. Cut the chives over the top of the salad.
  • Drizzle two or three tablespoons of walnut oil all over the salad.


If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).


14 comments:

  1. Vicky, your salad looks beautiful and I bet with those ingredients, it's really satisfying. I have a couple of roasted yellow beets in my fridge just waiting for the right recipe to come along. Thanks for sharing.
    Laureen
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh I just love the colours of this salad! I actually have everything that I need to make this in my kitchen, so i guess I know what to do tmr for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Drool! Vicky, you know I'm a beet girl. And I just love the other ingredients you added in this salad here. It's a meal all own its own! I feel like walnuts are the forgotten nut, no? They are so super healthy. I just made some walnut milk (will be share the recipe soon) and it's so much easier for me to digest.

    Thanks for another great recipe. And thanks for sharing it with us on AFW!!

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. Laureen - Thank you, yellow beets would be lovely in this salad!

    Shu Han - Hope you enjoy it! Isn't is wonderful how the rich colours of red vegetables and fruits can make food look so inviting!

    Amber - me too! It is a meal on its own but we had some onion bhajis with it. We eat quite a lot of walnuts , not forgotten here! So nutritious! I haven't yet made nut milk but I expect walnut milk is tastes lovely, look forward to seeing your post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your salad looks lovely and delicious! I really enjoy salads with fruit, veggies, and nuts. They are satisfying on many levels.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi There Vicki,

    I featured your awesome recipe this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays. Your recipe and other highlights can be seen here: http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/03/allergy-free-wednesdays-blog-hop-week-7.html

    Please join us again this week for more allergy-free fun and inspiration.

    Be Well,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Amber,much appreciated! I will definitely be there to look at all the fantastic links!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This looks like a really great salad. I'm featuring it tonight on Friday Food Flicks and I shared it on Facebook. Thanks for the inspiration!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much Amanda, so pleased you liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations!
    Your post is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great day and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah nice, vibrant and healthy!
    Just the way I like it ;)

    Thanks for sharing your lovely recipes at the Potluck Party!
    http://www.lifeologia.com/potluck-party-quick-healthy-meals/

    ReplyDelete
  12. We made this tonight and it was more tasty than I expected. Who knew oil could transform apples, carrots and beets into something that tastes indulgent. I also liked that the dressing was minimal but still had a flavor impact. Thank you! From a new SCD-er

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I'm so pleased you enjoyed it! Sometimes all a salad needs is a bit of oil to bring out the flavours especially when they're already quite strong. Thank you for letting me know you enjoyed it and good luck with the diet!

      Delete