Tuesday, 20 March 2012

Bean Salad with a Mint Dressing GF SCD


If you are cooking for the SCD the choice of beans is limited. Basically, you can choose from haricot (navy) beans, black beans, lima beans, kidney beans and small red beans.

If you would like further information about which beans you can use, visit the legal/illegal list. In the UK, lima beans don't seem to be available anywhere. These beans are not to be confused with what we know to be Butter Beans even though they are sometimes referred to as butter beans.  In this salad I've used Black Beans and Kidney Beans, which are packed full of minerals and vitamins and I've enhanced their flavour with a refreshing garden mint dressing.

Bean Salad GF SCD

450g cooked beans
1 medium red pepper
1 small onion or large shallot
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
Dressing :
6 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
2 tblsps freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 cloves garlic
8 - 10 mint leaves (or more to taste)
1 tsp honey (or other liquid sweetener - not SCD)
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper

  • Very finely dice the onion or shallot and red pepper.
  • Gently heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a pan and fry the onion and red pepper until soft.
  • Set the vegetables to one side to cool then make the dressing. Pour the lemon juice into a processor. Add two cloves of garlic, mint leaves, honey (or other sweetener) and extra virgin olive oil.
  • Process until combined, taste and add sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add extra mint if you like and some extra olive oil if the lemon taste is too strong.
  • Tip the beans into a bowl with the onion and red pepper.
  • Pour enough of the dressing to coat the beans well and stir to combine.
  • Chill and serve.



If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).


19 comments:

  1. Ahh I am crazy about mint, but have never made a dressing out of it. This looks like a delicious bean salad and a quite refreshing one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Laura! Yes, it's quite a nice change from other flavours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fun! I've used mint on chickpeas (a la North Africa) but never on beans like kidney beans. I'll have to expand my horizons.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stephanie! It is fun! I love to experiment with new flavours - though they don't always work out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi There Vicky,

    This is so lovely! And mint! Yuuuumm. My favorite. We have a HUGE mint bush (that stuff grows like crazy). I had to transfer to just a pot because it was growing everywhere. I enjoy homemade lemon,, mint and ginger tea during the summer, so refreshing.

    And thank you for a dressing recipe! Looks amazing! So easy and I'm sure it tastes out of this world. Asparagus is popping up at my Coop, and I bet this dressing would taste so good on a variety of vegetables. Sometimes it's fun to dress them up a bit. You have my wheels turning here (as always) :-)

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Amber - I confine my cooking mint to pots and have learned to keep them as far away from cats as possible! Every single cat in the neighbourhood loves my mint, so I have mint for cats and mint for me!

    If you make the dressing taste as you go along because I've found that some lemons are tarter than others (if that can be) and less is always better than more.

    Vinegars don't agree with my husband so I tend to always use lemons or limes in dressings.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you are having a great Spring week end and come back to see me real soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stopping by from Sugar Free Sunday! http://queenofsavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for sharing your great recipe on Allergy-Free Wednesdays! Be sure to check back next week for recipe highlights (including the top 3 reader choice submissions and hostess favorites).

    Be Well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your bean salad looks incredibly good and filling! I love the flavor twist you have given the salad by using a mint dressing - completely unexpected flavor combination, what a lovely suprise!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You just inspired me. OMG. I think I'll give the SCD more consideration, now that I see that you might very well be able to do it frugally. I can't wait to read your blog more.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi There Vicky,

    I featured your awesome recipe this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays. Your recipe and other highlights can be seen here: http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2012/03/allergy-free-wednesdays-week-10-march.html

    Please join us again this week for more allergy-free fun and inspiration.

    Be Well,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the mint in the dressing, and this salad looks absolutely scrumptious. It's so lovely and colourful too, not to mention really good for you! Thank you for sharing another wonderful recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you April! This salad also tastes much nicer when the flavours have been allowed to mingle for an hour or so.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love this protein rich meatless salad!! Thank you for sharing your recipe on Fit and Fabulous Fridays. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Amee! I was pleased to be there!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I saw your salad on Summer Salad Sunday's and had to drop by to have a closer look. I love black bean salads and yours sounds healthy and delicious.
    Sam

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! So pleased you dropped in Sam!

      Delete
  18. Love beans, just wish my tummy did :) Love the sound of your mint dressing though, sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing this with Summer Salad Sundays, look forward to seeing you again soon!

    ReplyDelete