Specific Carbohydrate Diet : swede, carrots, butternut squash, celeriac and cauliflower.
Gluten-free diet : potatoes, parsnips, swede, celeriac, carrots, sweet potatoes and butternut squash.
Lentil Pie GF SCD
1 large cauliflower
1 medium swede (rutabaga - not suitable for early SCD)
6 large carrots
2 medium onions
180g red lentils
400ml water or vegetable stock
225g cooked green lentils or 1 carton cooked organic green lentils
1 carton/tin organic tomatoes (nothing or just salt added)
350g organic passata
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp dried parsley or 1 tblsp fresh parsley chopped
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
- Set the oven to 180°C.
- Chop the cauliflower, tip into a pan and simmer for about 15 to 20 minutes.
- Chop the carrots and swede into small pieces and tip into a pan. Simmer for about 25 to 30 minutes.
- Chop the onions finely.
- Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a deep frying pan. Add the onions and cook over a low heat for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Rinse the red lentils and tip into the pan with the water or vegetable stock, bring to the boil and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Pour in the chopped tomatoes.
- Add the dried oregano then season well with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, stir and cook for a further 10 minutes.
- Add the parsley to the pan with the green lentils.
- Pour in the passata.
- Give everything a good stir and continue to cook for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally adding a little water if it looks a bit dry.
- Pour into a deep oven proof dish.
- Drain and mash the cauliflower. If you have a hand blender, blend until smooth. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Drain and mash the swede and carrots. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Spread a layer of swede and carrot mash on top of the tomato lentil mixture.
- Spread the cauliflower purée on top of the swede and carrots.
- Cook in the oven for 25 to 30 minutes.