Strawberries and Cream is such a simple Summer dessert yet it's the most perfect, in my opinion. But when you're following a dairy free diet what's the best alternative to cream? Vanilla cashew cream ticks all the boxes and it's quick and easy to make so long as you have a blender. Since we're still in the midst of strawberry season, I decided this recipe would be ideal for my contribution to the Suma Blogger Network this month.
Scattering some chopped, sweetened and toasted macadamia nuts over the top adds a wonderful buttery shortcake-like crunch to the dessert.
The vanilla cashew cream is made using a recipe I posted a few years ago but I added a little vanilla extract instead of a vanilla pod. After soaking the nuts for a couple of hours, all you have to do is throw all the ingredients into a blender and whizz until smooth and creamy.
Strawberries and Cream with Toasted Macadamia Nuts GF SCD
500 g strawberries (or more)
130 g organic cashews
120 ml almond milk
¼ - ½ tsp vanilla extract or 1 organic vanilla pod
1 rounded tsp honey (or vegan alternative)
tiny pinch of sea salt
125 g macadamias
1 - 2 T honey (or vegan alternative)
tiny pinch sea salt
- Soak the cashew nuts for about 2 hours in filtered water then follow the instructions for making cashew cream by clicking on the link.
- Grind the macadamia nuts until finely chopped in a food processor.
- Stir 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey or alternative sweetener into the chopped macadamia nuts.
- Tip the sweetened macadamia nuts into a frying pan and lightly toast over a medium light for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden.
- Chop the strawberries into quarters and tip into dishes
- Pour or spoon the cashew cream over the strawberries then sprinkle the toasted, chopped macadamia nuts over the top.
If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).