Monday, 1 August 2016

Strawberries and Cream with Toasted Macadamia Nuts - Suma Bloggers Network GF SCD

Strawberries and Cream

Strawberries and Cream is such a simple Summer dessert yet it's the most perfect, in my opinion. But when you're following a dairy free diet what's the best alternative to cream? Vanilla cashew cream ticks all the boxes and it's quick and easy to make so long as you have a blender. Since we're still in the midst of strawberry season, I decided this recipe would be ideal for my contribution to the Suma Blogger Network this month.

Strawberries and Dairy Free Cream with Toasted Macadamia Nuts

Scattering some chopped, sweetened and toasted macadamia nuts over the top adds a wonderful buttery shortcake-like crunch to the dessert.

Strawberries and Dairy Free Cream

Lightly toasting the macadamia nuts releases the oils and intensifies their wonderful creamy, rich flavour. A couple of minutes (if that) in a frying pan is all it takes but be careful because they can easily burn.

Toasted Macadamia Nuts

The vanilla cashew cream is made using a recipe I posted a few years ago but I added a little vanilla extract instead of a vanilla pod. After soaking the nuts for a couple of hours, all you have to do is throw all the ingredients into a blender and whizz until smooth and creamy.


Strawberries and Cream with Toasted Macadamia Nuts GF SCD

500 g strawberries (or more)
130 g organic cashews
120 ml almond milk 
¼ - ½ tsp vanilla extract or 1 organic vanilla pod
1 rounded tsp honey (or vegan alternative)
tiny pinch of sea salt

125 g macadamias
1 - 2 T honey (or vegan alternative)
tiny pinch sea salt

  • Soak the cashew nuts for about 2 hours in filtered water then follow the instructions for making cashew cream by clicking on the link.
  • Grind the macadamia nuts until finely chopped in a food processor.
  • Stir 1 to 2 tablespoons of honey or alternative sweetener into the chopped macadamia nuts.
  • Tip the sweetened macadamia nuts into a frying pan and lightly toast over a medium light for 1 to 2 minutes or until golden.
  • Chop the strawberries into quarters and tip into dishes
  • Pour or spoon the cashew cream over the strawberries then sprinkle the toasted, chopped macadamia nuts over the top.

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on FacebookInstagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).

45 comments:

  1. Oh my- vegan strawberries and cream! Such a lovely treat in the summer. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no problem, it is a lovely treat.

      Delete
  2. Yum looks delcious I love strawberries and cream

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joanna. It's always a hit in our house too.

      Delete
  3. Oh I went on a Strawberry binge not long ago. Nothing better than a bowl full of strawberries x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a beautiful and simple dish, Vicky! I've had gluten-free blogging friends here the last several days for a retreat and we've been having cashew cream with everything. But we've gone with the more savory versions vs sweet. Must do your sweet version and this recipe next year!

    xoxo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you all had a lovely time together and thank you! I rarely make it as a savoury cream though, I should try it some time x

      Delete
  5. I love strawberries, and my Daughter has just finished ours, and I this looks so nice I am craving this now x

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks like a perfect treat for Summer! Looks relish

    Tara

    http://cattitudeandco.uk

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum a perfect healthy snack, it better then eating chocolate. xx

    www.annanuttall.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh do you think so? I think chocolate is a winner for me!

      Delete
  8. My godson is following a dairy free diet so I best bookmark this for when he comes over so I can be prepared for him!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think he would enjoy it Beth, cashew cream so simple to make and you can serve it with any dessert

      Delete
  9. I have heard of coconut cream but vanilla cashew cream is something I haven't heard of. Spoiler alert it sounds divine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I can't ever get my coconut cream to whip up properly, this is smooth and delicious and always works out.

      Delete
  10. I'm loving this twist on a British classic x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is delicious! I love the idea of doing a remake of such a classic!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love macadamia nuts, this looks so yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks so delicious, it has all the ingredients that I like so I should give it a try!
    http://lilinhaangel.com/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Oh this is the best! I'd love to make a it as a surprise dessert for the family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Mmm now this sounds rather lovely! I had intended on trying out being vegan for this month. I confess I didn't even last 48 hours. :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth, oh well better luck next time!

      Delete
  16. Ooh this sounds absolutely amazing, I love the addition of the toasted nuts x

    ReplyDelete
  17. This dessert looks gorgeous and so very delicious.I love the idea that its vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks DELICIOUS! I must make it asap x

    ReplyDelete
  19. I haven't made cashew cream yet but it's been on my list of 'things to make' for ages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does sound complicated but actually it's so easy to make Cathy. Hope you get around to making it some day, it's worth it.

      Delete
  20. The toasted nuts are such an incredible addition!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is total comfort food for me. I just love strawberries and cream together.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Mmm, I bet the toasted macadamia nuts taste out of this world. Even better with the strawberries and cream!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I absolutely love strawberries and cream! My all time favourite!

    ReplyDelete
  24. oh YUM. That cashew cream with those toasted nuts... I'm drooling. Such a gorgeous summer dessert, Vicky :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Aimee, Summer wouldn't be the same without strawberries would it?

      Delete
  25. I've never tried making cashew cream, but it definitely looks the job in these photos! Such a great idea for anyone who can't or doesn't want to eat dairy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sally, it's also much nicer than the dairy free cream you can buy in the supermarket.

      Delete
  26. Now, that looks really tasty and delicious :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Anything with strawberries and cream is a winner with me it looks lovely ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  28. I must admit, when i first looked at the pictures i thought Strawberry cheesecake!

    ReplyDelete
  29. this looks so good!!! and that cashew nut cream sounds absolutely amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Strawberries and cream is such a classic! Love the idea of topping it with those toasted nuts.

    ReplyDelete