Saturday, 11 August 2012

Grain Free Raspberry Ripple Cake GF SCD


Did you know that the raspberries come in four different colours, red, purple, black and gold? The most fragile of all berries, raspberries are members of the Rose family. Tart yet sweet, raspberries are rich in antioxidants, in fact they provide us with one of the best sources of cancer protecting ellagic acid. Abundant in vitamins and minerals, the humble raspberry is also an excellent source of the anti-tumour agentVitamin B17 or laetrile. So many great reasons to include them in your diet!


Raspberry Ripple Cake GF SCD

250g Ground Almonds
3 large eggs
3 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
80ml acacia honey 
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tblsp pure vanilla extract (alcohol, water and vanilla only)
pinch salt

Ripple :


300g frozen/fresh raspberries
3 tblsps honey
120ml (½ cup) water

200-300g fresh raspberries to decorate

If you can, please use scales and stick to my measurements but if you need to convert them or use a Fahrenheit oven setting, please see the tab at the top of the page marked measures. These are approximate though since it depends on the size of your cup.

Set the oven to 170° C (fan/convection oven). First, make the raspberry ripple. I used frozen raspberries but I'm confident fresh raspberries will also work. Measure out the frozen or fresh raspberries. Tip into a pan and add the water and honey, you may like to add a little more honey than I do.


Bring to the boil and simmer gently for about 30 minutes or until the fruit has thickened and it looks a bit like hot jam. At this stage don't over cook the sauce.


Pour into a stainless steel sieve resting over a bowl and press the fruit through the sieve with the back of a spoon.


When this has been done the sauce should look like this.


Leave on one side to cool. When the sauce has cooled, spoon some into a freezer bag or piping bag leaving enough to decorate the top of the cake.


Squeeze the sauce down towards one corner and snip the corner off the bag.


Line a 2 pound loaf tin‎ (7½" x 3½" x 2½" (19cm x 9cm x 6.5cm)) with a liner or parchment paper. You could use maybe a six inch round cake tin but you will have to alter the cooking time. I haven't tried it but I guess it will probably take less time to cook.


Mix the cake batter. Pour the honey, extra virgin olive oil and vanilla extract into the bowl of a food processor then break in the eggs.


Process until combined.


Measure out the ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda and salt into another bowl and whisk together with a fork or balloon whisk. Add to the wet ingredients little by little. Process on a medium speed until all the dry ingredients have been mixed in.


Spoon some of the mixture into the tin. Then pipe some of the sauce over the mixture.


Layer mixture and sauce until you have used all the batter. Bake in the oven for 10 minutes then turn the temperature down to 160°C and bake for another 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean and the top of the cake springs back when lightly touched. After 40 minutes quickly cover with parchment paper to prevent the cake burning.


Leave to cool in the tin for about 15 to 20 minutes, then carefully tip out on to a cooling tray. I lay a cooling tray on top, hold it tightly then quickly turn it over. Remove the liner. After about 20-30 minutes flip the cake back again. 


While the cake is cooling, wash the fresh raspberries and leave to dry on some kitchen paper.


When the cake in cool, spread the sauce over the top.


Arrange the fresh raspberries.


When the cake is sliced there will be a ripple of sauce running through the cake.


It's lovely just on it's own.


Or you can serve it with vanilla yogurt creamvanilla yogurt ice cream, dairy free cream or dairy cream.



If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).


56 comments:

  1. Oh, that looks delicious! Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum I pinned to my gf dessert board thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. that cake is gorrrrrgeous!!! i love the ripple of raspberry! just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love it! I definitely want to try this pretty little thing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kristy - hope you enjoy!

      Delete
  5. Dearest Vicky,

    This cake looks divine! Your pictures are absolutely stunning. The berries look perfect and the cake looks professional; of course it is-it's made by you!

    I am going to come visit you one of these days for yummy, grain-free cake, tea and lots of wonderful conversation :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so beautiful! I can't wait to try this--I have a bag of frozen raspberries in my freezer right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm wondering if you can exchange the almond flour for coconut flour straight across.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachy! Unfortunately not, I'm afraid. But the nearest recipe I have ever seen to this is one on The Urban Poser which uses only coconut flour. I Haven't tried it but it looks pretty similar in texture http://urbanposer.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/summer-berry-trifle-wcoconut-flour.html

      You may be able to use this recipe for the cake instead if you're unable to eat almond flour. Then make the sauce and ripple it through.

      Delete
    2. Hi Rachy,

      I made Jenni's cake over the weekend (as vicky says, she uses straight coconut flour) and it was amazing. Tasted very much like a pound cake. I added a little extra lemon flavor, and that's it. I highly recommend if you are trying to cut down on nuts. :-)

      Delete
  8. Vicky...you have done it again!!! This cake is just stunning. I can almost taste those beautiful raspberries. You cake looks so light and fluffy. And I didn't know raspberries were members of the rose family.

    Well done my friend!! :-)

    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully done, Vicky! I've been waiting to see the recipe since you shared the photo on FB. ;-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley and thank you for sharing on FB, very much appreciated!

      Delete
  10. Oh, wow! That looks heavenly! We grow red and black raspberries which are such a treat during the summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Oooo I haven't seen black ones, how fantastic!

      Delete
  11. what a beautiful pictures! I wish I could dig into this cake right now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I often think that when I'm looking at all the food people make!

      Delete
  12. Raspberries Rock!!! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So beautiful, I could seriously eat your pictures :) LOL Honestly, it looks great and I have it book marked :) My name is Cindy and I blog over at Vegetarianmamma.com I wanted to invite you to link up your recipe at our Gluten Free Fridays Recipe Link up party! It happens every Friday and we'd love to have you join us with some of your awesome recipes! You can find this week's link up here: http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-friday-recipe-link-up-1/

    Thanks,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by our Gluten Free Fridays link up http://vegetarianmamma.com/gluten-free-friday-recipe-link-up-1/
      I have pinned your recipe to our Gluten Free Fridays (recipes) board on Pinterest! Thanks again for making it a huge success! We had over 100 gluten free recipes this week :) And I tweeted it out!
      Cindy

      Delete
  14. My mouth is watering!!!! I am getting tons of raspberries off my bush now so I know what I am making this week! Yum. Now I need to figure out how to convert those metric measurements. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jen! I must start growing them! If you look in the tab at the top called measures, I've put some conversions there!

      Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  15. What an absolutely beautiful cake! Stunning! I really would like a slice with a cup of coffee. :)

    Raspberries are a favorite of mine, even though I don't get to enjoy them very much (fresh ones are very expensive in Alaska, and the only ones I've been able to find frozen are already sweetened). Thank you so much for sharing your recipe at Whole Food Fridays!
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and you are most welcome Megan! I wonder why they add sugar to the frozen raspberries? Such a shame!

      Delete
    2. It is a shame!!

      I'm highlighting your recipe at Whole Food Fridays this week. Thanks again!
      :)

      Delete
  16. This looks amazing! Will have to try it once I gather enough berries from my yard, the tricky part is keeping my toddler out of them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kirstie! How sweet! But they're good for children! It's great that your child likes them!

      Delete
  17. This looks just about too go to eat.. thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlys and you are most welcome!

      Delete
  18. What a beautiful cake! Your step by step instructions are wonderful. Thank you so much for sharing this delicious treat with us at Hearth and Soul.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing it, I am bookmarking and definitely making this!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures' Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

    Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing your awesome recipe with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  22. Vicky, you are a Fit Feature this week at Amee's Savory Dish!! Love this gorgeous cake!

    ReplyDelete
  23. This cake is gorgeous! What a lovely and delicious cake - perfect for a special celebration!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful, lovely cake, thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop. I am highlighting this post today's Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  25. What an absolutely beautiful cake!!! I bet it taste heavenly!!!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is beautiful! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at Gluten Free Fridays. I cna't wait until I can get enough time in the kitchen to make it:)

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am featuring your amazing cake this week on Allergy-Free Wednesdays :)

    ReplyDelete
  28. The photography of this cake is breathtaking. Can't wait to try this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah! It looks awesome! So pleased he's enjoying it!

      Delete
    2. Hi again! I started my own SCD food blog and I used/altered your raspberry sauce recipe on my blog, giving you credit and linking over here. I just wanted to make sure it's okay with you. Here's a link if you want to see what I did: http://scdyums.blogspot.com/2013/01/quasi-review-scd-vanilla-pound-cake.html

      Delete
  30. Replies
    1. Yes Cynthia, ground almonds and almond flour are the same. Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  31. Vicky, I have been in such a raspberry mood lately that this recipe is calling my name! I've chosen it as one of my picks for this week's Gluten-Free Wednesdays carnival. Thanks for participating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Linda and wshing you a lovely Summer break x

      Delete
  32. This look so amazing! And your pictures are gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  33. This looks AMAZING! I'm going to feature this on Gluten Free Wednesdays this week!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. This cake looks so amazing, is yet so simple and I'm sure delicious! Love the ripple. :)

    ReplyDelete