Wednesday, 10 October 2012

Courgettes or Zucchini - a round-up of recipes


Courgettes or zucchini to my friends across the pond, have only really become popular in the UK over the past ten years.  The first time I discovered them though was about twenty years ago when a French teenager came to stay for a few weeks one Summer, he sliced a couple and fried them in a pan, YUM!!!!
Courgettes are at their best between June and September but we eat them all the year round! A member of the Cucurbitaceae family which also includes cucumbers, marrows, pumpkin and melons, courgettes are probably one of the most versatile vegetables in your pantry because they can be eaten in sweet and savoury dishes as well as raw. Available to buy in green and yellow they can add lovely colour to salads and vegetable dishes. They're also a good source of vitamins A and C as well as potassium and courgettes (in particular the golden skin variety) are rich in antioxidants such as carotenes, lutein and zeaxanthin.

Here are some recent recipes and also some from the archives that you may wish to try sometime, all SCD legal and easy to prepare :

1. Stuffed Courgettes



These are so tasty with the home made baked beans filling and cheesy topping.

2. Courgette and Pea Soup


 This is one of my favourite soups and awesome with onion bhajis (not SCD legal)!

3. Golden Courgette Pasta



Very quick to make, this is an ideal lunch and makes a great change from regular pasta which is of course not permitted on the SCD.

4. Carrot and Courgette Fritters


Absolutely gorgeous eaten cold!

5. Courgette and Carrot Muffins


and finally, my latest recipe Courgette and Roasted Tomato Soup



If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).

15 comments:

  1. All so very yummy! I don't think I've ever seen stuffed zucchini that are prettier or sound more tasty! ;-)

    xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! When my son was at home he ate baked beans with every meal and especially liked the simple SCD legal baked beans we made. So, I added onions and carrots (we eat onions and carrots every day so they couldn't be left out!) put them in the courgettes with some cheese on top one day and we fell in love with them! Ever so simple to make! Of course you could vary this using a bean chilli recipe - now that would be awesome!

      Delete
  2. Perfect post for this time of year!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! Thanks for being one of my early birds and getting this party started Thursday night! WOOT! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) I hope that you'll join us this week! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am like you, I love zucchini all year round! You have posted some wonderful recipes here and I really want to try the soups!

    Thank you for linking up to Foodie Friends Friday and we hope you come back next week with another wonderful recipe!

    By the way, I am now following your blog and your facebook page. I am also going to let my daughter know about your site - she is a vegetarian!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cynthia and you're very welcome!

      Delete
  4. Hi Vicky,
    What a great collection of recipes, I want to try them all. Hope you have a great week and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a great resource. All the recipes sound delicious, and they look wonderful too! Courgettes are such a fabulously versatile vegetable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April! I don't there ever is a time when I don't have any!

      Delete
  6. You have awesome collection of Zucchini recipe. Thanks for sharing Hearth and Soul blog hop. I am highlighting this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am a huge fan of zucchini and squash in general. I always enjoy discovering new ways to prepare squash. Your recipes all look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for posting..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome,Happy New Year!

      Delete