Sunday, 11 November 2012

How To Make Almond Milk GF SCD

Homemade Almond Milk

Finding a healthy milk alternative on the supermarket shelves is virtually an impossible task. Have you ever picked up a carton of non-dairy milk and read down the list of ingredients? For me it was an instant put-off. Home made almond milk is an excellent, healthy alternative to cows milk and it's so simple and quick to make. I'm becoming quite fond of this silky, smooth and refreshing drink.

Almond milk's growing popularity over the past few years certainly isn't a new fad since its use can be traced back for centuries, especially in the Middle East. Almonds were brought to Europe by The Romans but it wasn't until the trees were cultivated in the Middle Ages that almond milk became a popular drink. Compared to cows milk, it was easy to keep fresh though it must have been a pain to make without a blender!

Almond Milk


1 cup blanched organic almonds

4 cups filtered water (use less or more depending on how creamy you like it)
2 organic dates
2 drops vanilla extract (alcohol, water and vanilla only)

This makes about 750 ml. Since the almonds need to be soaked, you may need to plan when you are going to make this. Tip the almonds into a bowl, cover with filtered water and leave to soak for 4 to 12 hours or overnight.


Soak almonds in filtered water

 Sterilize a glass bottle :

  •  Heat the oven to 140°C
  •  wash in the dishwasher
  •  rinse in filtered water
  •  place the bottle on a clean shelf in the oven for 30 minutes.

Rinse the soaked almonds well with filtered water and tip into the blender with the dates and water. Add 2 drops of vanilla extract, in my opinion this is all it needs. Some recipes suggest half a teaspoon, I tried that and it was too much.


Blending Almond Milk

Blend well.


Blend the almond milk

Lay a milk bag or muslin cloth over a bowl with a spout if possible. Remove the scum from the top of the milk and pour the milk into the bag.

 Pour the almond milk into the nut bag.

Let the milk drip through.

Strain the almond milk through a nut milk bag

Twist the bag and squeeze gently until all the milk has dripped through the bag.

Almond Milk

Pour into the sterilised bottle.

Pour the homemade almond milk into the sterilised bottle

Store in the fridge.

Bottle of homemade almond milk

What do you do with the remaining pulp? 

Leftover Almond Milk Pulp

We use it in burgers and nut roasts.

To keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).

29 comments:

  1. What a beautiful bottle of milk Vicky!
    You know, I have not made my own nut milk yet.... I think it's about time - your post is getting me excited ;) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I put it off for ages Ella because I didn't have a Vitamix but you don't need one, I found out, AND I love it! It's so easy!

      Delete
  2. That's an untidy counter? You should see my counter after returning home from the grocery store! This is a great recipe, Vicky. I love that it included dates and that you gave us the inside scoop on the right amount of vanilla extract. I love vanilla, but too much is a very bad thing. :-(

    Thanks!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! Yes, after experimenting I think this amount of vanilla is just enough to cover the nutty taste without flavouring the milk and dates work better than honey to add a little sweetness since the flavour is a bit more subtle! I've really got used to it now in my morning coffee. x

      Delete
  3. I love almond milk! I've never tried blanching the almonds, but I imagine that makes it extra smooth and creamy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lauren! I always but blanched almonds and yes I think they probably do make the milk extra smooth and creamy!

      Delete
  4. Hi Vicky,

    I just love making my own nut milk! So glad you are making your own too. I have to say, walnut milk is my absolute favorite. The flavor is outstanding and I add in just a touch of vanilla.

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    P.S. My friend Heather @ Gluten Free Cat has been experimenting with some awesome raw recipes which uses the left over almond pulp:
    http://www.glutenfreecat.com/2012/11/raw-chocolate-crunch-cookies/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Amber, I've seen that particular recipe from Heather, it really does look good!

      I must try walnut milk next!

      Vicky x

      Delete
  5. Vicky, thanks so much for your support and for sharing this lovely milk at my launch party for my 1st HEALTHY HOLIDAYS Recipe E-Book ;DDD
    You're just the best! ;)

    http://www.lifeologia.com/potluck-party-e-book-launch-party-healthy-holidays/
    xoxo
    Ella

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Ella! I LOVE the recipes especially the Brussels Sprouts with caramelised onions and chickpeas saute! It sounds delicious!

      Delete
  6. Wishing you and your family a very Happy and Blessed Thanksgiving. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope to see you soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miz Helen! I hope your Thanksgiving is wonderful!

      Delete
  7. Thanks for this money-saving tutorial. I like this recipe so much that I will be featuring it this week on Gluten-Free Monday at OneCreativeMommy.com. Please stop by and grab a featured button if you’d like. I hope you’ll be back to link up again on Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for your submission on Nourishing Treasures' Make Your Own! Monday link-up.

    Check back tomorrow when the new link-up is running to see if you were one of the top 3 featured posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I know a number of people who get frustrated by how difficult it is to find good almond milk at the market, I will be happy to pass this along to them. Thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Judy! You are most welcome!

      Delete
  10. Vicky,

    Homemade almond milk looks delicious. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Swathi and you're welcome!

      Delete
  11. This sounds amazing! I used to make some with my first son, but my second has a nut allergy BOO, I miss almond milk :) Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :)

    We have a great collection of recipes going to get us ready for menu planning! Hope to see you this Thursday for another Gluten Free Fridays link up! It will be live at 7:05 eastern US time. Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! It must be so difficult cooking for young children with different dietary needs.

      Have a lovely week!

      Delete
  12. This is such a great tutorial! Although we are able to drink cow's milk, my late mom used to drink non-dairy milks and I was always a bit concerned with all the additives. It's wonderful that you can make almond milk from scratch, so much more natural! It looks really delicious in that lovely bottle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you April! I still have some dairy but since Hannah has a dairy allergy I've been cutting right back. I LOVE this milk (and actually prefer it) in my coffee. I'll let you into a secret - I save the organic passata bottle from Sainsburys, they are perfect for this recipe and for home made smoothies and juices or anything you may need a bottle for!

      Take care x

      Delete
  13. I've always wanted to make almond milk! Thanks for the tutorial. I'll have to try it as a milk substitute more often (instead of coconut milk).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Gina! I haven't made coconut milk and the canned milk here has additives so almond milk make a lovely alternative to dairy.

      Delete