Tuesday, 24 May 2016

Hasselback Courgettes or Zucchini with Basil Oil GF SCD

Hasselback Courgettes or Zucchini with Basil Oil

These tasty baked hasselback courgettes (zucchini) make the perfect vegetable side dish especially if you're cutting back on carbs or following the SCD. I tried to get hold of some round courgettes but unfortunately I couldn't find any which is a shame because I think these would make the perfect replacement for hasselback potatoes.

Hasselback Courgettes or Zucchini with Basil Oil

I've kept this recipe quite simple but there are many other ways you can prepare this dish, for example :

  • Add finely chopped chilli to the basil oil.
  • Use other fresh herbs such as rosemary and thyme.
  • Use a teaspoon of dried oregano or other dried herbs.
  • Sprinkle with cheese or vegan cheese.
  • Add pressed garlic to the oil.
  • Stuff with a few chopped sun dried tomatoes.
  • Sprinkle with a little lemon rind.
  • Various combinations of the above.

Hasselback Courgettes or Zucchini with Basil Oil

Hasselback Courgettes or Zucchini with Basil Oil GF SCD

2 or 3 courgettes
A handful of washed and dried fresh basil leaves for the oil and garnish
2 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
Flaked sea salt

  • Set the oven to 180° C.
  • Slice the courgettes about ½cm thick being careful not to cut through the base.
  • Finely chop a handful of basil leaves and mix into 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil. I used my Kenwood Mini Chopper  
  • Place the courgettes carefully into an oiled oven proof dish.
  • Brush with the basil oil carefully pushing down some of the oil and chopped basil leaves into the sliced openings.
  • Sprinkle with sea salt.
  • Bake for 40 minutes until tender.
  • Garnish with chopped fresh basil leaves

Hasselback Courgettes or Zucchini with Basil Oil

More Courgette Recipes you may like :



I'm linking this post to the May #EatYourGreens Challenge hosted by Shaheen at Allotment2Kitchen.

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).

34 comments:

  1. Wow, liking it and what a great way to inject flavour into a bland vegetable. Please pretty please can you share this with #EatYourGreens challenge, would be most appreciated http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2016/05/welcoming-may-eatyourgreens.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shaheen, I'm really happy to participate :)

      Delete
  2. I love the flavors you put with the zukes - chili, basil, lemon, rosemary, sun-dried tomatoes - sounds wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kari, there's so many ways you can spice these up, chili and basil oil being one of my favourites.

      Delete
  3. Ooh yum! These look like a really easy and low hassle way to cook courgettes - and they're a bit different too! Great to impress at a dinner party :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Becca, yes they are perfect for a dinner party especially if you can get hold of the round ones.

      Delete
  4. Wow! So interesting - I've made hasselback potatoes before but have never seen or thought of using other vegetables! Will remember this one for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! They're so easy to make and so very tasty roasted in the oven.

      Delete
  5. What a brilliant idea, Vicky! Just brilliant! Sun-dried tomatoes and basil sound so good, perhaps sprinkling all with Seasonello. I will make this tonight for a gathering of gluten-free friends that I'm having. :-)

    xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley, I LOVE the way you prepared them with the mushroooms, wild mushroom and sage infused oil and Seasonello sprinkled on top - so tasty! And thank you so very much for sharing xo

      Delete
  6. Lovely flavours. I need to try this recipe myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stella, I hope you enjoy them as much as we do!

      Delete
  7. This looks like the perfect thing for a vegetarian like me! Thanks for sharing!

    Oliver x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Oliver, you are most welcome! Yes, they're perfect for a vegetarian main with lentils or beans and some added spices.

      Delete
  8. gotta try this! thx for sharing such a cool dish

    xx
    lau
    www.malibluemymind.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are most welcome Lau, I hope you like them if you try

      Delete
  9. I've never been a big fan of courgette, but this does look appealing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura, yes courgettes can be really bland but adding some flavour and a little oil can really make them sparkle!

      Delete
  10. Ohhh I need to try this! It sounds great and I love that you've added chilli to the recipe. I love chilli's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sarah, thank you! BTW if you add garlic, oregano and chopped chilli to the oil and sprinkle with a little paprika, they taste amazing!

      Delete
  11. It looks very appetizing. Courgette is so versatile. R

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rosana, I agree there's so much you can do with courgettes to make them taste great!

      Delete
  12. Oh wow lovely recepie.I love zUcchini and chilli comnination

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nazma, chilli and zucchini do go so well together! Thank you.

      Delete
  13. I love courgettes - these look so delicious. Thank you for sharing. Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  14. Never would have thought to do this - such a great idea and it looks so yummy x

    ReplyDelete
  15. This looks so yummy!!! This recipe looks pretty simple to make. I will defenitly try making this :-)

    Leslie xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those looks really interesting - I love roast zucchini or courgette so I am sure these would taste excellent too

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow this looks super healthy and I can imagine that it would work well with a roast. Great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  18. What a delicious and healthy looking dish you've shared. I am not big on courgettes but recently started loving them

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a wonderful idea to do this with courgettes - I love hasselback potatoes but have never tried to hasselback any other vegetable. It's given me lots of ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the look of these. A great way to make courgettes really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lisa, courgettes can be quite bland but they really come to life if you add flavour to them and this method offers so many options to make them quite special.

      Delete