This simple dairy free, plant based pesto recipe is a perfect alternative to shop bought pesto and it's made in minutes. We like to mix it in with some courgetti noodles or drizzle it over pizza and gluten free pasta.
I've made this using Organic Raw Wild Garlic made by Golden Apple. I actually don't know if wild garlic is suitable for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet but I did try to find out. The only reference to the SCD and wild garlic that I managed to discover is in this Wild Garlic and Parsley Superfood Dip post by Naomi Devlin. She has labelled this recipe as SCD legal so I'm assuming that it is. However, you can use ordinary garlic instead if you are unsure or unable to buy this product but the last time I looked it was available on Goodness Direct. This recipe only makes enough for about four servings if you are using it on pasta or zucchini noodles so double up the recipe if you need more.
I used a Mini Chopper to make this but traditionally the ingredients are ground together using a pestle and mortar hence the name Pesto from the Italian "Pestare" which means to pound or to crush.
Dairy Free Pesto GF SCD
35 g fresh basil leaves (1 very large handful or 1 cup packed)
30 g pine nuts
2 - 3 tblsps organic extra virgin olive oil
1 tblsp freshly squeezed lemon juice
1 tsp Golden Apple Organic Raw Wild Garlic OR 1-2 cloves garlic crushed
¼ tsp freshly ground black mustard seeds
freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
- Wash and dry the basil leaves and place in the processor.
- Lightly toast the pine nuts in a frying pan over a medium light.
- Grind the mustard seeds.
- Process the basil leaves, 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil, pine nuts, lemon juice, wild garlic paste or crushed garlic and the ground mustard seeds until a rough paste forms, you don't want to over process it since the texture shouldn't be smooth.
- Add freshly ground sea salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add another tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil if necessary.
Mix a couple of teaspoons of this pesto with zucchini noodles or gluten free pasta for a quick lunch, it's delicious!