This is a simple, quick to make plant based dish which combines the sweetness of roasted carrots, butternut squash and shallots with the nutritious, protein packed, slightly earthy flavoured black beans.
Black Bean and Roasted Vegetable Salad GF SCD
1 small/medium butternut squash
extra virgin olive oil
4 sage leaves
2 sprigs of rosemary
freshly ground black pepper
250g cooked black beans
30-50g walnut pieces
1-2 tsps lemon juice
drizzle of walnut oil
100g salad leaves
- Set the oven to 200°C. Prepare the roasted vegetables. Peel the butternut squash and chop into cubes.
- Peel the shallots and slice the carrots in half then into eight.
- Tip all the vegetables into a roasting dish. Sprinkle on some freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.
- Chop the sage.
- Lay the rosemary on top of the vegetables and sprinkle the sage all over.
- Drizzle some extra virgin olive oil all over then give it all a mix.
- Roast in the oven for 45 minutes to an hour. Keep giving the vegetables a stir from time to time.
- Toast the chopped walnuts in a pan on a medium heat for a minute or two until starting to brown.
- When the vegetables are roasted, tip the beans into a bowl, add the lemon juice and drizzle over a little walnut oil.
- Season with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt.
- Assemble the salad on the plate. Lay the lettuce leaves on first. Tip some of the roasted vegetables on top. Spoon on the beans and lastly sprinkle the roasted walnuts on top. This recipe serves 4.
If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).