It's Easter Monday and the streets are lined with cars. The 48th World Coal Carrying Competition is about to take place in our tiny village! Strangely, every year on Easter Monday since 1964 men and women have raced up the high street carrying a sack of coal on their back. This year the sun was shining and for the first time I can remember, we even had the local brass band playing!
People come from all over to watch this event. Seeing the pained expressions on the faces of the competitors as they attempt to run up the hill, past the school to their goal, the maypole at the heart of the village, cheered along by the crowds and often coached and persuaded along their route by a close friend or trainer, makes you wonder why do they put themselves through this?
With sheer determination and willpower, the competitors complete the race, personal achievement being more important than the win!
Research suggests that honey and almonds can help to lower cholesterol levels so when my sister-in-law told me she had to watch her cholesterol level, I made her some muffins which hopefully she could safely enjoy. I adapted a recipe from Grain-Free Gourmet by Jodi Bager and it worked perfectly.
Summer Berry Muffins GF SCD
2½ cups fresh/frozen summer berries
½ cup water
2½ cups almond flour (ground almonds)
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
⅓ cup honey
3 large (extra large in the US) eggs
pinch sea salt
- Set the oven to 160° C. Place 8 medium muffin cases in a muffin tray. Pour the berries into a pan with the water and simmer until the liquid is reduced and has started to thicken. Leave to cool.
- Using a 240ml cup as the measure, mix together the ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a bowl. In another bowl whisk together the eggs and honey. Pour the cooled fruit into the eggs mixture and stir until well combined.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet and mix well.
- Evenly fill the muffin cases.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes until the top of the muffins spring back when lightly pressed.
These are nice eaten warm and are lovely for breakfast.
If you would like to receive notifications of my healthy, vegan and vegetarian recipes, please subscribe by email (top right).