Simple lentil dishes are so very warming and this is a great dish for using up the odd vegetables in the fridge. A lovely inexpensive meal that can be eaten on its own in a bowl or served with vegetables.
Stove Top Green Lentil and Vegetable Hotpot GF SCD
1 390g tin/carton organic green lentils in water) OR 230g cooked dried green lentils
350g organic passata
2 small leeks
1 red pepper
2 cloves garlic crushed
1/2 red chilli (or a whole one if you like it hot!)
1/2 tsp dried sage
1/2 tsp dried parsley
1/2 tsp dried rosemary
1/2 tsp dried thyme
large pinch cayenne pepper
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
Extra virgin olive oil
- Finely chop the chilli and crush the garlic.
- Slice the carrots and pepper and finely chop the onions and leeks.
- Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a deep frying pan then fry the onions on a medium heat for about five minutes until translucent.
- Add the leeks, pepper, chilli and garlic and continue to cook for another five minutes stirring regularly.
- Season with salt, black pepper, a sprinkling of cayenne pepper and the dried herbs. Cook for another couple of minutes.
- Pour on enough boiling water to cover the vegetables and add the carrots. Cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Rinse the lentils under cold water and add to the pan.
- Pour in the passata and continue to cook on a medium heat for a further 20 minutes until the liquid has reduced.
If you would like to receive notifications of my healthy, vegan and vegetarian recipes, please subscribe by email (top right).