Tuesday, 11 September 2012

Gluten Free Treats at Niagara on the Lake


The last time I visited Niagara on the Lake was four years ago when we decided to make a detour on our trip back to Toronto after visiting Niagara Falls. It was late evening and I thought it was one of the prettiest places I had ever seen. So on this trip to Canada we were over the moon when we were treated to an over-night stay there.


Once the capital of Ontario, this beautiful town is nestled in the heart of Canada's wine region. It's just like taking a step back in time. The streets are lined with amazing Georgian and Victorian styled buildings and the flower displays are quite stunning!


Though the town was absolutely crowded, we loved popping in and out of all the shops. The Christmas Shop is certainly worth a visit! But where were we going to find somewhere to have a bite to eat? On our way to post some cards I noticed a sign in a shop window which looked very promising.


The Irish Tea Room!


In the back of the shop we found a small cafĂ© and this is what was sitting on top of the cake display cabinet. Awesome!


Quite unbelievable! I was tempted with an amazing choice of sweet desserts as you can see from the picture at the top of the post.


I very nearly decided to try this zucchini bread.


But this was what was left of the carrot cake after I had been served an enormous slice!


Just look at the choice of cheesecakes!


So if you're looking for a place to stop and eat and you're anywhere near to Niagara on the Lake, drop by the Irish Tea Room and sample some of their lovely cakes.

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).


4 comments:

  1. Hi Vicky,

    What an amazing trip! I've never been. It looks fantastic. That picture with the white carriage made me gasp. So pretty!

    And I have to say, my heart fluttered a little when I saw that sign that said: Celiac, Vegan and Vegetarian choices. WOW! I've never seen anything like that - not even in the hippest alternative foods joint in San Francisco. So awesome. Whenever I stumble upon little things like a restaurant that serves organic greens, or gluten free breads, or coconut ice cream I get a little giddy. Because hooray, I can eat it. And there is nothing worse than feeling lousy when you're traveling.

    Thanks for sharing these great pictures. I hope to make it to that Irish Tea Room one day!! :-)

    Hugs to you friend,
    --Am

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amber, it's the prettiest place! I think my heart did flutter, to find a place where we could eat something with a choice was so surprising!

    I hope you do get to visit this region some day it's beautiful! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the tip Vicky! We live less than two hours from there and my sister lives nearby. My husband and I went there for our 10th anniversary, but we weren't sure where to eat. I will have to give that restaurant a try! Gluten free desserts are right up my alley. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! We had a bit of a problem with eating dinner at Niagara on the Lake. We ended up eating a selection of side dishes at one of the restaurants!

      We didn't look at the mains at the cafe since we were heading back to my son's house soon after but I was hungry and it was so nice to be able to eat a vegetarian gluten free cake!

      How lovely to go there for your anniversary! It's such a pretty town though I remember it being far less crowded the first time we went.

      Delete