Tuesday, 18 September 2012

Cherry Chocolate Cookies GF


I've had fun and games trying to reproduce the cookies my daughter made while we were on holiday by adapting my Raisin Cookies Recipe. I haven't managed to make them exactly the same but I'm happy with the final result.

The original cookie looked like this :



Cherry Chocolate Chip Cookies GF


100g ground almonds
30g unsweetened dessicated coconut
30g dried cherries
60ml honey or maple syrup
40ml extra virgin olive oil
1 tblsp organic cocoa powder
2 tsps pure vanilla extract (alcohol, water and vanilla only)
 tsp bicarbonate of soda
pinch of salt
30g plain dark chocolate of your choice for decoration (optional)

Set the oven to 180°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper. Measure out the ground almonds (almond flour), dessicated coconut, bicarbonate of soda, cocoa powder and salt into a bowl and mix well with a balloon whisk.


Mix the honey (or other liquid sweetener), extra virgin olive oil and vanilla extract in another bowl.


Chop the cherries into thirds or quarters.


I use Urban Fruit cherries, so much nicer than any other I've tried in the UK.



Add the cherries to the dry ingredients, pour on the wet ingredients and mix well.


Take walnut sized pieces, roll into a ball and place on the baking sheet. Press them down lightly. This mixture should make about 12.


Perhaps space them out a little more than I did. It's not a good idea to flatten them, they should look like this.


Bake in the oven for 10 to 12 minutes. Leave to cool on the tray for 10 minutes before transferring to a cooling tray. Melt the chocolate in a bowl over simmering water.



Drizzle the melted chocolate over the cookies when they are cool and leave to set.



If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).


33 comments:

  1. Yummy! I make a chocolate and cranberry cookie, but haven't made one with cherry yet. The chocolate drizzle on top is making me drool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cranberries and chocolate sound delicious Laura! And the drizzle really does make the cookie!

      Delete
  2. those look so much more scrumptious. GF cookies are hard to find that actually look and taste good. Can't wait to try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) Hope you enjoy them Carissa!

      Delete
  3. Oh Vicky...

    You make the most amazing cookies! These look just delicious. I want to pull one right out of the screen. I love cherries and chocolate together. Just divine.

    Have a fabulous weekend lovely lady.

    Hugs,
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so sweet of you to say! I hope you have a wonderful weekend too! x

      Delete
  4. I love to try this for my family..Looks yummy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you enjoy them!

      Delete
  5. I love cherries and chocolate and coconut...and Oh my gosh, these look so good!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joann! So quick to make too!

      Delete
  6. Your cookies sound wonderful - all those delicious flavours, and I love the pretty chocolate glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look awesome... I will be sharing them with my gluten free friends and also on my facebook page. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marlys! That is so kind of you! I'm pleased you like them!

      Delete
  8. the cookies look fabulous! i'd probably be too impatient while they baked and would eat the dough :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Richa! Haha! My daughter and I were saying just the same thing when I was mixing them!

      Delete
  9. Hi! Thank you so much for your blog (and this delicious recipe). As a vegetarian just starting on SCD, I was initially dismayed that I may have to bring down my veggie flag, but your blog has given me hope. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosy! Thank you! I'm so pleased you're going to try the diet, we didn't have any problems with a vegetarian form of it. I do think that the yogurt is a very important part of the diet at first though so I'm not sure if a vegan form would work as well.

      BTW this recipe isn't SCD legal - cocoa is not on the legal list BUT there are other cookie recipes on the blog which are SCD legal - look out for SCD after the blog title and check the index in the tabs at the top of the blog.

      Wishing you lots of success with the diet! Have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  10. I love it when cookies just look beautiful. Love the chocolate drizzle on top! Thanks for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome Lindsey and thank you for coming over to look at the post!

      Delete
  11. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! I love finding GF recipes That I can eat. Looks super yummy! You got my vote.
    Brianna from Flippin' Delicious

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Vicky,
    We are going to love these cookies, you really can't beat Cherries and Chocolate, yummy! Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miz Helen! I agree cherries and chocolate were made for each other!

      Delete
  13. Delicious cookies, that too with cherries. Thanks for sharing with Hearth and Soul blog hop. I am highlighting this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Pinned Vicki, and I am featuring these this week on AFW too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tessa! That's so lovely of you! BTW my daughter saw the caramels you made..I will have to gather the ingredients and make them soon, I couldn't keep them a secret!

      Delete
  15. These look amazing!! Thanks for linking up at our Gluten Free Fridays party! We had some fabulous entries this week! Our gluten free blogger directory is growing too! I have tweeted and pinned your entry to our Gluten Free Fridays board on Pinterest! :) See you next Friday! Cindy from vegetarianmamma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cindy! I will be there!

      Delete
  16. Your cookies are gorgeous! What a delicious combination!

    ReplyDelete