Sunday 29 September 2013

Cream of Tomato Soup GF SCD


Growing up we had two kinds of soup, tomato and mushroom and both from a can!  I loved the tomato soup but I haven't had it for years since following a healthier real food diet. So when Sainsbury's sent me a can of chopped tomatoes as part of their support for Organic September, I thought I'd try to create a healthier version of my childhood favourite and I'm so happy with the result!

So what's to like about tomatoes! First and foremost is Lycopene, a powerful anti-oxidant thought by many to help prevent cancer. Lycopene in tomatoes also becomes more bioavailable by chopping and cooking the tomatoes especially with a little oil. Second is the flavour - I always buy organic tomatoes, fresh or canned, they really do taste better and for the few pence more, I think it's worth it. Third, is their practicality and versatility - so many recipes call for tomatoes.



Organic tomatoes are one of the few items I buy in a can. These contain no additives and they taste delicious, I've been buying them for years. When buying vegetables though, I don't always choose organic - I couldn't afford to - but I do try to choose those from the dirty dozen list.



Tomato Soup GF SCD

450 g fresh organic tomatoes
400g tinned organic tomatoes
1 medium onion
1 stick organic celery
1 large carrot
120 ml filtered water
180 - 240 ml almond milk
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
freshly chopped basil to garnish

  • Gently heat about 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a large pan.
  • Slice the onion, celery and carrot and tip into the pan.
  • Cook the vegetables for about ten minutes on a gently heat.
  • Slice the fresh tomatoes and add to the pan with the water and oregano.
  • Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes until the carrots are soft.
  • Tip in the canned tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
  • Blend until smooth.
  • Stir in the almond milk and to the required consistency, blend again.
  • Add the paprika and salt and pepper to taste - it needs a generous amount of salt.
  • Gently heat without bringing to the boil.
  • Garnish with fresh basil.
  • Serve hot.


Did you notice the little crackers scattered on the soup in the first picture? These are Organic Sun Dried Tomato Raw Crackers from Golden Apple - just perfect to compliment this soup. I'm going to be writing a review of their products soon so watch out for it - pure unadulterated and delicious and most of their products are suitable for the SCD!