Sunday, 29 September 2013

Cream of Tomato Soup GF SCD


Growing up we had two kinds of soup, tomato and mushroom and both from a can!  I loved the tomato soup but I haven't had it for years since following a healthier real food diet. So when Sainsbury's sent me a can of chopped tomatoes as part of their support for Organic September, I thought I'd try to create a healthier version of my childhood favourite and I'm so happy with the result!

So what's to like about tomatoes! First and foremost is Lycopene, a powerful anti-oxidant thought by many to help prevent cancer. Lycopene in tomatoes also becomes more bioavailable by chopping and cooking the tomatoes especially with a little oil. Second is the flavour - I always buy organic tomatoes, fresh or canned, they really do taste better and for the few pence more, I think it's worth it. Third, is their practicality and versatility - so many recipes call for tomatoes.



Organic tomatoes are one of the few items I buy in a can. These contain no additives and they taste delicious, I've been buying them for years. When buying vegetables though, I don't always choose organic - I couldn't afford to - but I do try to choose those from the dirty dozen list.



Tomato Soup GF SCD

450 g fresh organic tomatoes
400g tinned organic tomatoes
1 medium onion
1 stick organic celery
1 large carrot
120 ml filtered water
180 - 240 ml almond milk
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp paprika
extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
freshly chopped basil to garnish

  • Gently heat about 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil in a large pan.
  • Slice the onion, celery and carrot and tip into the pan.
  • Cook the vegetables for about ten minutes on a gently heat.
  • Slice the fresh tomatoes and add to the pan with the water and oregano.
  • Bring to the boil and simmer for about 15 minutes until the carrots are soft.
  • Tip in the canned tomatoes and cook for a further 5 minutes.
  • Blend until smooth.
  • Stir in the almond milk and to the required consistency, blend again.
  • Add the paprika and salt and pepper to taste - it needs a generous amount of salt.
  • Gently heat without bringing to the boil.
  • Garnish with fresh basil.
  • Serve hot.


Did you notice the little crackers scattered on the soup in the first picture? These are Organic Sun Dried Tomato Raw Crackers from Golden Apple - just perfect to compliment this soup. I'm going to be writing a review of their products soon so watch out for it - pure unadulterated and delicious and most of their products are suitable for the SCD!

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).

11 comments:

  1. If I didn't know better I'd say that was Heinz soup! The creamy texture and bright orange colour are exactly the same, as far as I can remember. I bet this would be delicious topped with some big "cheesy" croutons :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! The colour is virtually the same but there's no sugar in this! Cheesy croutons would also be a nice alternative but have you tried the Golden Apple Raw Crackers yet?

      Delete
  2. That is delicious soup very creamy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Swathi and It is just perfect for lunch!

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious! I can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cary! I hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
  4. I can't wait to try this soup. I love tomato soup and this would only be one point plus on Weight Watchers! Yay .. pinning it right now.. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! So pleased you like the sound of it. I hope you enjoy it and thank you for pinning the recipe!

      Delete
  5. Hi Vicky,
    We just love Cream of Tomato Soup and your recipe looks awesome! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope your weekend was great!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miz Helen, you are most welcome!

      Delete
  6. My goodness, this reminds me of my childhood soup and it's so pretty with the "scaly" crackers. I remembered my Mom would heat some canned tomato soup with fish crackers when I was young. Lovely that you used almond milk, I usually prefer this over soy milk (it upsets my stomach sometimes).

    ReplyDelete