Saturday, 10 January 2015

A Vegetarian SCD Christmas


I thought a few of you may be interested in some of the food that was eaten over the Christmas fortnight this year when we were catering for someone on the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. It was interesting to see some of the food he created too.

It's a shame we didn't get a photo of Christmas dinner, I think we were all too eager to eat. All the pictures above and below were taken on a tablet or iphone. The picture above is of my Onion Soup which we ate with grain free bread sticks - the ones at the front are cheese bread sticks and the ones behind are vegan herby bread sticks. I will be making these again and will post the recipe, they were delicious!



A stack of these coconut flour pancakes was made almost everyday. The favourite topping was the caramelised banana and peanut butter one below!!!



Another favourite brunch recipe was the pizza omelette.



This cauliflower rice was stuffed in roasted red peppers...



My minestrone soup was a popular lunch...



... and it also stuffed some peppers the following night.



That evening we also feasted on spiralized carrots and courgettes with a tomato sauce, broccoli, spinach, garlic mushrooms, roasted butternut squash, roasted avocado and as well as brussels sprouts sautéed with chestnuts and red onion, which was my favourite side dish and featured quite regularly over the couple of weeks!



We made many of the soups from my blog.



The Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot Soup made with red onions was delicious with a scoop of cauliflower purée on top...



...and a couple of days later we ate spinach with roasted yellow peppers, spiralized carrot and courgette and cauliflower purée with a scoop of Roasted Butternut Squash and Carrot soup on top!



I made the SCD legal pizza from my blog as a meal for a journey away from home, it's a huge favourite!



I managed to get round to making the mince pies on the day before everyone left. The pastry is a little different to the one I usually make and it was interesting to discover that the pastry didn't fall apart as easily as usual. I will share this recipe next time I make a pastry recipe. The secret ingredient was also in the bread sticks.



Finally the last meal before everyone went home was a double spicy bean burger with a portobello mushroom sandwiched in the middle served with fried mushrooms and tomatoes, basil and a squeeze of lemon, delicious!

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas and I wish you all a very Happy, Healthy New Year!

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).

This recipe is linked to Fat Tuesday

13 comments:

  1. Such gorgeous and glorious food, Vicky! Thank you for sharing with us all! :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shirley and you are most welcome! I thought it would be nice to show pictures of the real SCD legal food that was cooked to give an insight into how simple it is to maintain the SCD! I didn't eat (or cook) the pancakes and omelette but they were very much enjoyed by our other guests.

      Delete
  2. I ate the SCD diet about two years ago and it really helped me feel a whole lot better, I was (and still am) gluten free but still felt unwell for a few years after going gluten free. The caramelized bananas look really good, I might need to try them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sheena! I'm glad the SCD made you feel better, I'm gluten free but I must admit that when I eat completely grain free I feel tons better with much more energy!

      Delete
  3. WOW!!! That all looks SO YUMMY!!!! You really know how to eat!!!


    Anyhoo, I found your blog through a fellow blogger, and just thought I would stop by and say hi! It would totally make my day if you did the same... or better yet, keep in touch!! <3 - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, we did eat well over the fortnight! Thank you for introducing yourself, popping over to you to say hello!

      Delete
    2. No problem! Thanks for stopping by my blog! I hope we can keep in touch! ^_^ - www.domesticgeekgirl.com

      Delete
  4. What an amazing array of delicious-looking eats! It looks like you & the family managed to eat really well AND healthily over the holidays :o) I especially love the look of your burgers and portobello mushroom dinner. I had the most amazing portobello mushroom burger in Glastonbury on the day of the Winter's Solstice, filled with olive tapenade and various other things. It was utterly delicious. Definitely need to try and recreate it at home x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon! I think this was our healthiest Christmas ever!! Those burgers were amazing! The burger you had sounds awesome, an olive tapenade would have really suited our burgers. I would love to visit Glastonbury again, I'm not going to admit to how many years ago it was since we went but my eldest was in a pram!

      Delete
  5. What a delicious-looking spread! It looks like you went to a lot of effort too, do you do all the cooking or do you get help from family?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee and we all shared the cooking, it was fun!

      Delete
  6. Thank you for sharing this beautiful Christmas recap, we didn’t celebrate Christmas in Melbourne that year - ended up having vegemite scrolls, cider beer and a crazy sunny weather. The coconut flour pancakes with caramelized bananas look amazing…everything on your plate looks so good! These mince pies…wow…a perfect and irresistible delight! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had a fantastic couple of weeks Rika, there's nothing more precious than time with family, I wouldn't swap it for the world! However, Christmas in the sun would suit me fine if I ever had the opportunity!

      Delete