Saturday, 17 September 2011

Black Bean Burgers GF SCD


Black Beans are SCD legal and high in protein and fibre in addition to being a great source of calcium, potassium, iron and folic acid. These nutritional powerhouses also contain small amounts of omega-3 fats and the shiny black coating contains at least eight different flavonoids. They're ideal for making bean burgers as well as for adding to stews, curries and chilli.

Black Bean Burgers GF SCD

460g cooked black beans or 2 390g cartons organic black beans in water
2 medium onions
1 medium carrot
½ red pepper
1  red chilli (to taste)
½ tsp dried oregano
½ tsp dried sage
½ tsp cumin seeds
½ tsp ground black pepper
½ tsp fine sea salt
ground almonds to coat
extra virgin olive oil

Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan. Chop the onions finely, tip into the pan and fry gently for 5 minutes. Dice the carrot and finely chop the chilli pepper and add to the pan. Continue to cook for another 5 minutes.


The chilli peppers which came from our own plant are medium hot but be sure to add the amount of chilli pepper depending on how hot you want your burgers to be.


Finely chop the red pepper and add to the pan with the herbs, cumin seeds, salt and pepper. Add salt according to taste.


Rinse the beans thoroughly.


Add the beans to the pan and stir in.


Put a lid on the pan and cook gently, stirring occasionally, until the carrots are soft. This takes about 10 to 15 minutes. Turn off the heat and mash the vegetables with a potato masher but leave some chunks of beans as well as vegetables.


Sprinkle some ground almonds on a plate and take spoonfuls of the mixture and shape into burgers. We use a ring since the mix is soft. Sprinkle some more ground almonds over the top of the burgers. 


Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan and cook gently for about 15 to 20 minutes turning half way through the cooking time. Since ground almonds burn easily, keep an eye on them.


If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).

12 comments:

  1. this looks fabulous!! black bean burgers without all the bread flour and eggs. yummy!! i like to make mine with steamed sweet potato and chickpeas and herbs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ditto what Junia says.. love the fact that they're gluten free and egg free. I will definitely going to make this!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I love bean burgers even more than the ones with meat. I love how you've made these gluten and egg free.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love black bean burgers! You use a completely different method than I do. Very interesting! I will have to give it a try. I love that you used your own homegrown chile pepper, too. Great recipe :-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. Hope to see you next week! Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for
    Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

    http://realfoodforager.com/2011/09/fat-tuesday-september-20-2011/

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't ever made any meat-less burgers but would love to try these! I also want to try bean brownies, ever heard of them? Thank you for linking up at Healthy 2day Wednesdays! Sorry I have been out of the loop for a bit, we have moved houses! Hope you'll join in this week!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These bean burgers sound so incredibly delicious and flavorful! Thank you for sharing them with the Hearth and Soul Hop, they are going on my list of recipes to try because I know my husband would love them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've also been eating all kinds of black bean burgers lately! I didn't know black beans were okay on the SCD--I always wonder how they decide such things! Anyway, they look fabulous and I can't wait to try them. Thanks so much for submitting them to Wellness Weekend this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yes! Black Beans, Kidney Beans and Navy (Haricot)Beans are all legal..the others aren't "legal" because they weren't analysed by Dr Haas, the originator of the diet. Other beans are probably OK but it's not worth risking it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love black bean burgers with guacamole and salsa - haven't had them since cutting bread out of our diet. It's funny, i've used almond flour to coat zucchini fritters and chicken, but didn't think to try the black bean burgers. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Vicky,
    I have made 7 or 8 of your SCD recipes and they are all amazing - thank you! I just made the black bean burgers and they were also delicious, but they didn't hang together very well. Do you have any suggestions for modifications? I'm okay with eggs, but not grains or dairy...
    Thanks! Suzie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Suzie, Happy New Year and thank you for letting me know, I'm glad you liked the recipes. The bean burgers aren't like a normal burger and I agree they don't hold together very well, but we've got used to them that way. In fact my husband made a variation of these tonight using Moroccan spices but because he doesn't eat eggs we don't add one to the mix. But there's nothing to stop you adding one. I'm sure it will help to bind the mix and hold them together better. Please let me know how you get on x

      Delete