Sunday, 28 August 2011

Blackberry and Apple Crumbles GF and SCD


I love this time of year because the apples are ripening on the tree and the blackberries are ready to pick. It's a bit of a jungle at the back of our garden since we leave the brambles to grow wild.



I am very unimaginative when it comes to making a dessert with blackberries in late Summer. Since we don't eat puddings more than once a week, when I ask everyone what they would like, the answer is always crumble!When I make my blackberry and apple crumbles I don't use specific quantities of fruit though I reckon for six portions you would probably need at least eight large eating apples and one or two cups of blackberries. It doesn't matter if you make too much filling because you can always eat it the following day. I use as many blackberries I can gather on the day and the apples that have gone uneaten in the fridge! Today, I used this many apples for both crumbles....




and this many blackberries...




I used the quantities below to make one small SCD crumble, two large portions, and one GF crumble which will serve six people or four very hungry people!

Fruit Filling
15 apples
1½ cups blackberries
4 tblsps fresh orange juice
1 heaped tblsp honey


Soak the blackberries for about an hour then rinse them well.




Peel and slice the apples, this seems to take forever!




I put them in a bowl of water as I go along to prevent them from going brown. When all the apples are prepared, drain off the water (don't dry them) and put them in a large pan with the blackberries. Add the orange juice and the honey then bring to the boil slowly, stirring from time to time. It seems like there is no liquid in the pan at first but don't be tempted to add more because the apples release their own liquid. Simmer for about 30 minutes until the fruit is cooked. 




Pour into the dish or dishes.




Topping SCD
100g ground almonds (almond flour)
50g dessicated coconut
40g butter
¼ tsp salt
⅛ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tblsp honey


Set the oven to 180°C. If I am making both crumbles, I always process the SCD ingredients first to avoid contamination. Put all the ingredients except for the honey in a food processor bowl.




Pulse a few times until all the ingredients have combined but don't over process or you will have pastry. If you are not keen on coconut, replace some or all of the coconut with almond or another nut flour.




Spoon the topping on top of the fruit, then drizzle the honey all over the top.




Bake in the oven for about 20 minutes or until the topping is beginning to turn brown.






Topping GF
185g gluten-free plain flour blend (I use Doves Farm)
40g gluten-free rolled oats
150g butter
30g organic unrefined sugar (or 1 or 2 tblsps honey drizzled over the top)
¼ tsp salt


Set the oven to 180°C. I don't usually cook with sugar but it does make all the difference to this topping and there's only 30g to be shared between 6 servings! If you wish, you can omit it and drizzle honey over the top as I did with the SCD crumble. Cut the butter into small cubes then tip all the ingredients into the food processor bowl and pulse a few times until the ingredients have formed a crumble, be careful not to over process or the mixture will form lumps (like mine did). If it does, just break them up with a fork.




Spoon on to the fruit and bake in the oven for 30 to 45 minutes or until the topping has started to turn golden. The picture at the top of the post is the gluten free crumble.


Please come and say hello on Facebook and Twitter ! 


This recipe was linked to Sugar Free SundayMy Meatless MondaysJust Another Meatless MondayHearth and Soul HopSlightly Indulgent TuesdayGluten-free WednesdaysFull Plate ThursdayFrugal Food ThursdaySweets This WeekFresh Food FridayAllergy Friendly FridayThe Gallery of Favorites

13 comments:

  1. I am on my way to make dinner but looking at his is causing immediate hunger pangs. What a fabulous fruit dessert. Thanks for sharing with us at Bake With Bizzy.

    I wish I had blackberries growing in my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really healthy and delicious, thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hungry after reading this...and I just had a big meal! Looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks so fresh and tasty. I've never thought to add the coconut. Thanks for the idea. ...and thanks for adding this yummy treat to Sweets This Week!

    Have a great weekend.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is perfect as my blackberries and apples ripen at the same time. I love the topping that you came up with...such a great alternative! Thanks for sharing your recipe with the Hearth and Soul Hop.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Blackberries and Apples, what a great flavor combination. We would really enjoy this beautiful dessert. Hope you will have a great week and thanks so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks really, really good. Thanks for sharing it at Gluten-Free Wednesdays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll try this almond topping some time. I have almond flour and I haven't decided what to do with it. I think this would be a good start.

    ReplyDelete
  9. We love crumbles too - and I love your crumble topping. It would be so tasty with almond flour and coconut - a lovely change from plain flour crumbles! Thank you for sharing this delicious seasonal post with the Gallery of Favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi, I am about to start the SCD diet, for my colitis but I am a vegertarian and worried about how I will cope doing this can you give any advice?? your food likes amazing! Also I am having problems with trying to get hold of Almond flour and unpasiturzed honey any advice please I would be so gratefully many thanks Lorraine x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lorraine, please check the contact tab on the bar at the top and email me your questions and I will do my best to advise. Which country/area do you live in? Almond flour should be available everywhere, it is the same as ground almonds. I can save money by buying in bulk in the UK! Also I use organic honey, it's fine, unless there's a specific reason why you have to have raw honey.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Perhaps another healithier option to sugar would be dried/dehydrated dates made into powder in the food processor. Might be nice?

    ReplyDelete