We often make soup, not just because it's totally delicious and comforting but also because it's a fantastic way to make sure that we don't waste any of our vegetables. Soups are so quick and easy to make. Just chop and chuck the vegetables in a pan with a bit of stock and a few herbs and spices, cook for a about half an hour, blend and enjoy. This soup is one I made recently, I love its fiery, vibrant colour.
Red Pepper and Carrot Soup GF SCD
2 red bell peppers
2 cloves garlic
700ml water or stock
1 tsp paprika
11/2 tsp dried thyme
2 tblsp fresh chopped parsley
extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a deep heavy based pan. Chop the onions roughly. Tip into the pan and fry gently for about 5 to 10 minutes until translucent.
- Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a deep frying pan or wok. slice the peppers and tip into the pan. Fry on a medium to high heat for 5 minutes.
- Peel and slice the carrots and add to the onions with the garlic and paprika.
- Continue to fry, stirring regularly for another 5 minutes. Add the dried thyme and tip in the peppers. Pour in the water or stock, add a large pinch of mace and season with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover and simmer gently for about 30 to 40 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Chop the parsley and sprinkle into the soup.
- Blend until smooth, this recipe serves 4 people.