Wednesday, 22 February 2012

Roasted Parsnips GF


Parsnips are one of my favourite vegetables. We considered these sweet and slightly knobbly root vegetables to be an enormous treat when I was growing up but they were rarely roasted in the oven. They were fried in the chip pan instead. But I didn't realise until just recently that they aren't anywhere near as popular outside of Europe.

Parsnips are an off-white, ivory coloured, starchy root vegetable and were a staple in Europe and North America until potatoes became much more popular in the 19th Century. A good source of vitamin C, folate and potassium, there are several methods of preparing them - eaten grated raw in salads, boiled and mashed, added to stews, made into fritters and, my favourite, roasted.


Parsnips (on the right in the picture above) taste nicer when harvested after the frosts since the cold actually improves the sweetness and flavour. In fact, in the UK, parsnips are always at their very best in January and February. Although they are available to buy all year round, in the Summer months they don't tend to soften and can be quite woody! When choosing parsnips try to pick ones which are firm, light coloured and heavy for their size. Despite opinion which states that the small parsnips are sweeter than the larger sized ones, I have eaten many large parsnips that have been just as soft and sweet as smaller ones.

Roasted Parsnips GF

  • I usually allow at least one large parsnip per person.
  • Set the oven to  190°C.
  • Peel the parsnips and slice into chunky pieces, evenly sized. Try not to make the ends too thin or they will burn before the rest of the piece is cooked.
  • Tip into a roasting pan and drizzle with extra virgin olive oil then shake the pan to distribute the oil or prior to adding to the roasting pan, tip the chopped parsnips into a freezer bag, add the oil and shake well, by doing this you can cut down on the amount of oil you use. 
  • Roast in the oven for 40 to 50 minutes or until golden and soft.



If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).



15 comments:

  1. Roasted parsnips are one of our favourite vegetables - your look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks April! They're so delicious and a favourite of ours too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds delicious! Fuuny, I just bought some parsnips yesterday, for another recipe but this looks simpler and more our style. My husband and I like the veggie, but they are not popular at all here in Virginia. I can't speak for the rest of the USA. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE parsnips!! Must be my European roots. ;-) Thanks for the primer--yum! And thanks for linking to WW this week. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. "Nerdymom" - It seems that in some parts of the USA people are very familiar with parsnips and in other parts they've never tried them! Thanks for popping over!

    Ricki - I remembered our tweets a while back and thought I'd post about parsnips. I LOVE them too! In fact if the rest of the family had their way, at this time of the year we'd be eating them every night! With regard to Wellness Weekend - I love the recipes posted there, so many healthy ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Vicki,

    Yum! I love parsnips. Your recipe is simple and looks delicious. My two favorite combos. Total bummer they are not SCD legal! My heart sort of dropped when I was reading the book and saw they are forbidden. Too bad.

    I love them in soup too. Have you ever tried them in muffins? They are delish (not SCD however):

    http://www.thetastyalternative.com/2011/11/ginger-parsnip-muffins-grain-free-vegan.html

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amber, apparently there was a bit of a debate about whether they are legal or not, Elaine wasn't sure and Dr Haas included them in his diet. But to be on the safe side, especially if you have Crohn's or UC, I think it's best to avoid them.
    I'll check your recipe out! Thank you for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I did not know that parsnips are best picked after a freeze. Good to know. I love roasted parsnips and these look perfectly prepared! Thanks for the information!

    ReplyDelete
  9. MJ - Your welcome! The bit about picking them after a frost does explain why the parsnips we buy at the moment are softer when roasted than the ones we buy in the summer which just don't seem to soften at all!

    ReplyDelete
  10. We love Roasted Vegetable and your Parsnips look awesome. We would really enjoy a nice plate of Roasted Parsnips. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. As far as I know, I don't *think* I've ever eaten Parsnips! But your description makes me want to drive to the market and get some right now! :) Thanks for bringing this simple new-to-me recipe to Sugar Free Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Miz Helen! A palte of roast parsnips is delicious!
    Sonia - please go and get some, you won't regret it! Thank you for hosting Sugar Free Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

    Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!
    http://realfoodforager.com/fat-tuesday-february-28-2012/

    ReplyDelete
  14. Vicky,

    This is wonderful. Thank you for sharing this recipe on Friday Food Flicks. I just shared it on FB.

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you Amanda! Glad you liked it!

    ReplyDelete