Tuesday, 17 July 2012

Grain Free Lemon and Blueberry Cake GF SCD


Tangy lemons and juicy, sweet blueberries are perfectly paired in this zingy, almondy cake sweetened with fragrant, golden honey. This cake could even quite happily be the star of the breakfast table since every one of its ingredients offers something nutritionally beneficial.


Incredibly prominent in the US diet, blueberries have not been as popular in the UK until recently. In Summer we're traditionally great consumers of strawberries and raspberries and it's only been in the last few years that blueberries have started to make an appearance. Superstars of the fruit arena and hugely beneficial for whole body health and particularly the heart and brain, blueberries are jam packed full of antioxidants, vitamins and minerals being especially high in vitamin K, vitamin C and manganese. Awesome to nibble on, they can be added to drinks, salads, ice cream, cakes, jams or anything else you can think of.

I just LOVE the dimples on top of this cake.



Lemon and Blueberry Cake GF SCD 

250g ground almonds
125g blueberries
3 large eggs (extra large in the U.S)
3 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
80ml acacia honey
grated rind of 2 - 2½ large or 3 to 4 medium lemons 
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tblsp pure vanilla extract (alcohol, water and vanilla only)
pinch salt

If you can, please use scales and stick to my measurements but if you need to convert them and use a Fahrenheit oven setting, please see the tab at the top of the page marked measures. These are approximate though.

Heat the oven to 170° C (fan/convection oven). Pour the honey, extra virgin olive oil and vanilla extract into the bowl of a food processor then break in the eggs.



Process until combined.


Grate the lemons.


Measure out the ground almonds, bicarbonate of soda and salt into another bowl, add the lemon rind and whisk together with a fork or balloon whisk.


Add to the wet ingredients little by little. Process on a medium speed until all the dry ingredients have been mixed in.


Line a 2 pound loaf tin(7½" x 3½" x 2½" (19cm x 9cm x 6.5cm)) with a liner or parchment paper.


Spoon some of the mixture into the tin and sprinkle some blueberries in. Then spoon more mixture into the tin and add more blueberries.


Repeat the layers a couple more times. You could sprinkle some flaked almonds over the top too if you have some.


Bake in the oven for 10 minutes then turn the temperature down to 160°C and bake for another 40 to 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean and the top of the cake springs back when lightly touched. After 40 minutes quickly cover with parchment paper to prevent the cake burning.


Leave to cool in the tin for about 15 to 20 minutes, then carefully tip out on to a cooling tray. I lay a cooling tray on top, hold it tightly then quickly turn it over. Remove the liner.


Leave to cool.


If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).

47 comments:

  1. This looks absolutely mouth watering! I am so glad that my pound cake was your inspiration. This is most definitely a variation I look forward to baking...and eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love lemon pound cake and blueberries so this combination is lookin' very enticing. :) I like that it's made with almond flour too! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm.. that looks so good. You know -- I didn't even know you could get loaf liners like that. I always use just cut out strips of parchment paper. v. cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Raj! Your cake looked awesome! Breakfast is most definitely a great time to be munching this cake!

      The loaf liners are great but I put a link on FB to the on-line store and they do deliver all over the world so if you're feeling extravagantly minded, you can always buy them from the UK!

      Delete
    2. i cant use almond my son is allergic to it try to use coconut flour but crumbled and was to dry didnt mix well. so PLEASE tell me what else can i use as a substitute for the flour. oh yeah he is on a GF-CF-SF & Grain Free diet..
      thank you !!
      Madeline
      Puffmad68@aol.com

      Delete
    3. Madeline, this won't work with coconut flour in the same quantities but I may try to make it at some point. You could try making the pound cake on The Urban Poser site http://urbanposer.blogspot.ca/2012/06/summer-berry-trifle-wcoconut-flour.html
      and see if that will work with bluberries added to it.

      Delete
  4. Your cake looks wonderful too yummy. Going to follow you as I am always looking for gf blogs. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely, Vicky! You already know that I like these flavors together. ;-) Like Raj, I didn't know about the loaf pan liners either. I want some!

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is a gorgeously zesty blueberry cake and it has baked so beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! That looks amazing - the blueberries look like they're about to pop out of the screen - love that it's GF too! YUM YUM YUM! :) Hopping over from Hearth & Soul tonight. Hoping you'll swing by SalmonAtSeven.com to say hi soon. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is beautiful! I have never seen those liners for loaf pans--they are very clever. I wouldn't have thought to use olive oil in a lemon blueberry cake, but I bet it gives a rich, fruity flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have seriously been loving my blueberry protein cakes lately and this would be a great alternative! This cake looks so moist and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lemon and blueberry pair together so perfectly! This cake looks fabulous for tea time. We need to create an afternoon tea time here in the US-we are missing out! Thanks for creating yet another amazing recipe Vicky. Hugs to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just came from Miz Helen's Full Plate Thursday. Your cake looks so delicious, I can't wait to try it. I'll have to try to convert the gram measurements into ounces so I can get the proper consistency.

    Thanks for sharing.
    Joanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'll maybe put a conversion table to ounces in my measures tab! Hope you enjoy it!

      Delete
    2. Looks delicious! Would you be able to convert the grams/ml into cups for the almond flour, blueberries & honey?
      Thank you.

      Delete
  12. i love how the berries are popping through the top! so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness, this loaf cake looks absolutely delicious!
    Shared on my Facebook page :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy it Malisa! Thank you for popping over x

      Delete
  15. Wow Vicky! This looks soooo delicious! I'm your newest follower :) (stopping by from Amee's)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Emily! I've just followed back, you have a fantastic blog! Love it!

      Delete
  16. I just love lemon and blueberry! This looks really good and simple to make!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Vicky,
    I just love the Lemon and Blueberry combination for your beautiful cake, yummy! Hope you are having a great summer week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Vicky,

    I love the combo of Lemon and blueberry, Beautiful cake, Thanks for sharing with Hearth and soul blog hop. I am going to highlight this recipe on today's hearth and Soul blog hop.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Vicky! I will be featuring your recipe on AFW this week! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I can't wait to try your GF version of this lovely cake!! It looks so delicious! Thank you for sharing this at Fit and Fabulous Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This cake sounds so delicious, and the ingredients are lovely and wholesome too. Blueberries and peaches just say 'summer' to me!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I made your recipe this week and I love it! It's great with my morning coffee. Thanks for posting this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! So pleased you enjoyed it! Thank you so much for letting me know!

      Have an awesome weekend!

      Delete
  23. Hi there,
    I don't have a convection oven. Would the temp & time be different for a regular oven?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You could try it at 180 or 190 C in an ordinary oven for 10 minutes then reduce to 170 or 180 for the rest of the cooking time. Since it is made from almond flour I would just raise the temperature by 10 degrees and maybe cook it a little longer. I haven't tried it I'm afraid. Defnitely cover with parchment paper after 40 to 45 minutes cooking time.

      Delete
  24. Your recipe looks so yummy! Thanks for linking up to Foodie Friends Friday party!

    Robyn from Robyn's View

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow! This poundcake looks great! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  26. This looks wonderful and that it is gluten free even better. Have to share it with some of my gluten free friends. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and remember to come vote for your favorite recipes today.
    http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. I just finished the last piece today......I love it! I substituted the eggs for flax seeds, and the honey for coconut nectar. I preparing to make another one over the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't tried it yet with flax eggs, thank you for letting me know it works! I'm so pleased you liked it, thank you so much for the feedback :)

      Delete
    2. I also thank you for your comment. This looked divine and was wanting to try it. I am allergic to eggs and was afraid to try it with an egg replacer because have had many failures (no rise and really dense); but since you had success, will probably making it this afternoon. Again thanks Jolice.

      Delete
  28. Vicky, this looks so good. It was a great choice to link up to Gluten-Free Wednesdays last week. It's a good way to bring new life to older posts, and I'll be highlighting it this week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Linda! This is one of my favourite grain free cakes and one which many people have tried with success! It's nice to bring back the old recipes!

      Delete
  29. This looks GREAT! I'm featuring it this week at Gluten Free Wednesdays :)

    XO,
    Cassidy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cassidy! I'm so pleased you like it!

      Delete
  30. This cake is amazing! I bake it this morning and it tastes so so good! I just changed it a bit to make it vegan. Instead of the eggs, I used mashed bananas and instead of honey, I used dates paste. The result is a mouth watering piece of heaven! Thank you for this recipe. You rock! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so pleased you made it vegan and it worked out. Can I ask you if you added any more raising agent?

      Delete
    2. Hi Vicky! I made this cake twice and added more raising agent on the second time. It tastes great, but it requires more time in the oven and I guess it's a little more moist than the regular kind, which I don't really mind. Thanks for this awesome recipe!

      Delete
    3. I will definitely make it using your version next, thank you so much for the feedback :)

      Delete