Wednesday, 6 January 2016

Happy New Year 2016

 View from Toronto Central Island and the CN Tower

Do you make New Year's resolutions? I don't see the point in them any more and why make resolutions to begin on the 1st of a new year. Why not today or tomorrow? In the past when I've made New Year's resolutions, I've never managed to stick to them for long and I've realised that, to some extent, they can actually cause some stress and anxiety and that's no way to start the New Year! However, I do try to set some goals but I don't set firm rules since I know they won't always work out.

Willpower is the main thing standing in the way of most New Year's resolutions so if you decide to make resolutions I guess you should try to be realistic and plan well. Don't make your life miserable! Give yourself some breathing space especially if you're aiming to change your diet or lose weight.

So what are my plans for the 2016. My top priority is to be fit and healthy again. Still recovering from breaking my hip in August last year, I'm not able to start physiotherapy until I am given the go ahead. I have to wait until I've received confirmation that it is continuing to heal properly. Hopefully this will happen at the beginning of February. So roll on February...

Secondly, I need to find a job! I was made redundant last year and my accident has quashed all efforts I'd made to seek new work in 2015 so I'm hoping that something good will come along once I'm well again.

Thirdly, I'm going to start posting recipes to the blog again. I've not cooked anything in the past few months and I miss being able to create new recipes. Actually, I even miss cleaning and doing all the household chores.

My lovely, supportive friend Shirley of Gluten Free Easily has suggested I might like to consider making a Vision Board. Have you ever made one? A vision board focuses on how you want to feel rather than just on the material things you would like in your life and apparently they can work! There's a good article about making a vision board here if you're interested in discovering how and why they can work for you. I'm definitely going ahead with this, I know it will help me to focus on what is important for my life this coming year.

The picture at the top of the post has been taken from Toronto's Centre Island. I can't wait to revisit my family in Canada and I'm visualising that it will happen in 2016!

Good luck to all of you in 2016, I hope you have a very happy and healthy New Year!

20 comments:

  1. All the best for 2016, Vicky. Your mince pies recipe was a hit again this Christmas and I used the leftover pastry to make plain cookies which went down well after the riches of the festive season. I'm looking forward to you posting new recipes when you're able.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and a very Happy New Year to you and your family Catriona! I'm glad you made the mince pies, I didn't make them this year but I don't think they were missed since I "supervised" the making of a grain free pudding and 2 grain free Christmas cakes. I hope to be posting new recipes in a couple of months all being well!

      Delete
  2. Vicky, wishing you and your family much health, peace and joy in 2016. Also, wishing you a speedy & healthy recovery and may you find the perfect job for you!
    Cheers,
    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michelle! Thank you and a very Happy New Year to you too!

      Delete
  3. I'm wishing you an amazing new year Vicky!! I hope your hip feels better soon :). I can't wait to see more recipes from you too! Vision boards are a really great tool, I love making them - I do something similar but make a pinterest board for mine :) <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Harriet, I'm getting very frustrated now, I can't wait to get back in the kitchen and back to normality. Such a good idea to use Pinterest for your vision board! Wishing you heaps of success and happiness this year, may all your dreams come true x

      Delete
  4. Happy new year! I also want to improve on my fitness and health in 2016. I'm also extremely jealous you have family in Canada. I'd love to go got there!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Leanne, if you get the chance to go to Canada you must go, it's amazing plus the exchange rate is fantastic at the moment.

      Delete
  5. Totally agree, I dont see the point. If you want to do something then do it now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes there is a lot to be said to not putting things off, who knows what the future may bring!

      Delete
  6. Good luck with your plans for 2016, I'm sure if you put your mind to being healthier and getting a job you'll achieve it. I don't like making resolutions, I just think about what I want to achieve over the year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhian, I'm hoping that everything will be OK if I visualise it.

      Delete
  7. A happy belated New Year, I don't make resolutions as such, more things that I would like to do, places to see and things to attempt. I have always found this more positive than making resolutions to change things that I find hard to stick to

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tanya, you too! Setting out a plan of places to see etc is much more achievable.

      Delete
  8. All the best for 2016! I don't normally make New Years Resolutions but I did this year. I am going to learn to drive. Making it a resolution has given me a good time frame.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tori! Good luck with the driving lessons and passing your test this year!

      Delete
  9. Happy new year. Good luck with your plans for 2016.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Stella, I hope 2016 is good to you.

      Delete
  10. I'm so sorry to hear how long you've been out of action due to the hip fracture :( Have you managed to start physio yet?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sharon x I'm starting this week, at last!! I don't know how long it will take me to get back on my feet but I'm aiming for 4 weeks. I have to train my brain to help me walk as well as building up my muscles again.

      Delete