Thursday, 28 January 2016

My Favourite Superfoods - Cauliflower

Cauliflowers

What makes the simple cauliflower a superfood? Do you even like it or are you getting a little tired of seeing it popping up everywhere? Lucky for me, I've always adored the taste and texture of cauliflower, it was even considered to be a treat. But when I was growing up it was only ever cooked in season and not every day of the year. These days, the reliable Autumn cauliflower seems to be taking on much more of a starring role in the kitchen from making minor appearances in breadsticks and cakes to completely pushing the mighty old spud off stage.

So what's all the fuss about? Primarily, it's about reducing carb overload and replacing this with a densely nutritious alternative. Low in calories and rich in fiber, cauliflower offers some fantastic health benefits:

  • High in Vitamin C, one serving of cauliflower provides almost 80 of our daily requirement.
  • A great source of Vitamin K which helps maintain healthy blood clotting and acts as a direct regulator of our inflammatory response, Vitamin B6 and folate.
  • A good source of potassium, manganese, calcium, iron and zinc.
  • High in plant protein.
  • Rich in phytonutrients especially glucosinolates which are known to provide good cardiovascular benefits. Of note is the fact that sulforaphane made from one of these glucosinolates  can protect the lining of the stomach by preventing the overgrowth of Helicobacter pylori.

No wonder it is considered a superfood. It's cheap as well as easily available and it's always on our shopping list. If you've not jumped on the cauliflower bandwagon yet then you're missing out on a whole host of foodie tricks. Some of the recipes on my blog show how cauliflower can easily replace carbohydrates in some of your favourite dishes.

Cauliflower Cheese Sauce

Stuffed Tomatoes

A serving bowl of stuffed tomatoes
A serving of lentil pie

Egg Free Mayonnaise

A jar of egg free mayonnaise

I've not progressed to including cauliflower in pizza bases yet, I don't know if I ever will but cauliflower rice has become a staple in our household and cauliflower is not only a great alternative to rice, it can be used brilliantly in place of couscous too. It's even sold in supermarkets.

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).



30 comments:

  1. I've seen many people doing cauliflower rice at the minute. I need to try it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I hope you enjoy it, Cauliflower Rice is nowhere near as filling but if you get the flavourings right, you would hardly know you weren't eating the real thing.

      Delete
  2. I've been seeing so much about cauliflower rice lately! I'll have to give it a try some time if it's so good!
    Jay x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jay! It's nice and light to eat and perfect if you want a light meal. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  3. You have given me some fantastic ideas to use and might I offer you some delicious vegetarian recipes using cauliflower too? Spicy Indian Cauliflower Stirfry, cabbage and cauliflower curry and cauliflower stuffed naan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, a spicy Indian cauliflower stir fry would go down nicely just now and we use cauliflower in our veggie curries regularly but I've never put cabbage in one. I must try that.

      Delete
  4. I think I will have to try the stuffed peppers and stuffed tomatoes. They look really tasty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! We had the stuffed peppers recently but with Moroccan flavours, they were yummy! Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  5. See other than turnip and peas and potatoes I don't eat any other veg I am the worlds most finniest eater

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emma, well turnip, peas and potatoes are good! Peas are one of my favourite veggies, we have them every day. Thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  6. In recent years I have come to actually like cauliflower, I still don't love it but I do LIKE it and appreciate its versatility more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaheen, it took a while before I could get my kids to eat it and one of them still isn't too keen but she likes cauliflower rice, so that's a step forward. I'm glad you like it now. Thank you for visiting.

      Delete
  7. Loads of people I know have cauliflower rice I m yet to try it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I hope you get a chance to try it, it makes a lovely change and even though it sounds complicated, it's actually much quicker to make than ordinary rice. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  8. Cauliflower is awesome...but it doesn't like me! I used to make pizza's with it..they are amazing...well worth doing. I can't believe you haven't tried them when you have used it in so many other delicious recipes!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry it doesn't like you Vicki. Most of these bases have eggs in them and my son like my own pizza base when he's at home so I just haven't tried to make pizza bases with cauliflower. I know you can make them with flax seeds so maybe I will sometime.

      Delete
  9. As much as I love cauliflower, you'd think I'd have tried countless recipes with it. I need to try all of these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Liz, these recipes are simple to make and if you love cauliflower, they're worth making. Thanks for your comment.

      Delete
  10. I love cauliflower and I am yet to try cauliflower rice, so that is on my list x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I hope you get a chance to make it, it's definitely worth a try! Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  11. I adore cauliflower - I did not realise there were so many recipes you could use it for. I would love to try the rice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Helen, thank you for commenting, I hope you try cauliflower rice someday, it's not as complicated as it sounds.

      Delete
  12. I love cauliflower! It's so versatile. I haven't used it to make mayo before - that's such a great idea!!! I can't wait to try making it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Harriet, thank you and I totally agree with you about its versatility. In the mayo cauliflower's a great thickening agent, you only need to use a little.

      Delete
  13. I cant tell you the last time i tried Cauliflower. I know it suppose to be great for you so I will be trying out the Cauliflower Rice, looks interesting.
    Thanks for sharing hun
    Charlotte x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Charlotte hope you get the chance to try cauliflower rice sometime. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  14. I looooove cauliflower! I have a ton of it in my fridge right now.. gonna make some mashed cauliflower tonight! Mmmm mm mmmm! <3 - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gingi! Mashed cauliflower is awesome, especially with a few chives and lots of black pepper. Thank you for popping over I must go over to yours for a read soon x

      Delete
  15. When I was a kid, we only ever cauliflower boiled or steamed. It was so bland. These days, there are so many delicious, creative ways to serve it. I love it in thai curries, blitzed into rice, blended into sauces, oh and my family LOVES your roasted cauli with paprika/oregano recipe ♥ :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too - growing up the cauliflower was always boiled to death! I think my favourite way of cooking cauliflower is in cauliflower rice, it's so easy to do and much quicker than ordinary rice. I'm so pleased your family like the roasted cauliflower recipe!

      Delete