Monday, 8 February 2016

蛋 饺 - Egg Dumplings for Chinese New Year's Eve GF SCD

A plate of Chinese Egg Dumplings
Chinese Dumplings

Happy Chinese New Year! Did you know that this year is the Year of the Monkey? The Chinese Zodiac, known as Sheng Xiao, is based on a twelve-year cycle and each year in that cycle is related to one of the following animal signs : the rat, ox, tiger, rabbit, dragon, snake, horse, sheep, monkey, rooster, dog and pig.
The preparation for the festivities begins seven days before the New Year's Eve, and the holiday celebrations last until the Lantern Festival on the 15th day of the first lunar month, 22 February in 2016. On the Eve and the first day, the New Year is celebrated by eating special foods and by lighting fireworks.

It's traditional to eat dumplings during New Year's Eve to bring good luck and happiness and since the oval shape of these dumplings is similar to that of ancient Chinese gold or silver ingots, they are also believed to bring wealth. It's suggested that the more dumplings you eat during the New Year celebrations, the more money you can make in the New Year.

I was born in the Year of The Monkey and according to Chinese astrology, people in their zodiac year are believed to offend Tai Sui, the God of Age. It is believed to be an unlucky year. However there are ways to prevent this bad luck for example, by wearing jade accessories or by wearing red clothes, especially underwear which should be bought for you by your spouse, a member of your family or by a friend. Red is one of the luckiest colours in Chinese culture, and represents prosperity, loyalty, success, and happiness and red can drive away bad luck and evil spirits. I will therefore be wearing my jade brooch and getting hubby to buy me something nice and red.

The other way to ensure you can avoid bad luck is to face the right direction, the opposite direction to the position of Tai Sui. In 2016, Tai Sui is in the South West so by placing furniture to face North East, people born in the year of the Monkey can face away from Tai Sui and this is supposed to bring luck. Since my bed faces North East and my desk also faces North East, I should be OK, I think.

As you know, my son follows the Specific Carbohydrate Diet. His lovely girlfriend is Chinese and last night, to celebrate the Chinese New Year's Eve, she made Vegetarian dumplings suitable for the SCD and sent me some photos and her recipe to share with you.

A plate of Chinese Egg Dumplings

Chinese Egg Dumplings GF SCD

6 eggs

250 g mushrooms
120 g cooked chestnuts (half a tin cooked whole chestnuts in water - not water chestnuts)
3 courgettes
3 spring onions
1 tsp dried rosemary
splash of cider vinegar (optional)
splash of whisky (optional)
freshly ground sea salt and black pepper
extra virgin olive oil

  • Prepare the filling.
  • Finely chop the mushrooms, spring onions, cooked whole chestnuts and courgettes.
  • Stir in the rosemary, vinegar, whisky and season with sea salt and black pepper to taste.
  • Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan and stir fry until soft cooking off the moisture, keep on one side while you prepare the dumplings.
  • Whisk the eggs and season with sea salt and black pepper.
  • Preferably using a very small single egg frying pan, heat a small amount of extra virgin olive oil.
  • Pour a small amount of the mixture into the pan so the mini omelette is as thin as possible.
  • Cook until the underneath is cooked but it is still slightly undercooked on top.
  • Place a heaped teaspoon of the filling in the centre of the omelette and fold the other side over to make a dumpling.
  • Set on one side while the other dumplings are made.
  • Repeat last 3 steps until all the egg mixture is finished, it should make about 15 mini omelettes.
  • Steam the dumplings over boiling water for about 5 minutes and keep warm until all the dumplings are cooked.
  • You may be left with some mixture, if so, freeze or store in the fridge.

A bowl of filling for Chinese Egg Dumplings
Chinese Dumpling Chestnut Filling

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).


46 comments:

  1. I was born in the year of the rooster in 1993! Those dumplings look delicious and I love the look of the chestnut rice too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ana. Oh it appears that 2017 is your next Chinese Zodiac year.

      Delete
  2. I love the sound of this filling. I forgot it was Chinese new year until this morning. I might have to make some Chinese food tonight.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dannii, if you go around to it, hope your Chinese food was good.

      Delete
  3. oh wow these sound utterly amazing and I think I may juts have to give them a try

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you enjoy them Emma, thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  4. Oh yum these sounds absolutely delicious - what a nice way to see in the new year. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do Sarah, thank you! It sounds like they had quite a feast. I'm looking forward to some more grain free recipes from my son's girlfriend soon. They really know how to celebrate in China.

      Delete
  5. I had no idea it brings good luck to eat dumplings on new years eve! These look delicious! I may have to try them. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know this either, I'm getting to know quite a lot about Chinese traditions. I may try a vegan version next year using the sale filling. Thanks Sarah.

      Delete
  6. I do love a good dumping, i'm heading for Chinese food at the weekend and will definitely be getting some. These look yummy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rhian, I hope you have a lovely Chinese feast.

      Delete
  7. I've never had a dumpling! BT Btt hen I'm not the most adventurous when it comes to food.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never had one before either Leanne but I may make some in the near future. Thank you for your comment.

      Delete
  8. ive never thought of adding whisky! I'm actually craving chinese food. I'm too lazy to cook some at the moment haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, Whisky is a strange ingredient but then it is New Year! Thanks Nicol.

      Delete
  9. I have't ever made my own chinese food before but I absolutely love it! Maybe this year is the year I give it ago

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Hannah, I've made noodle dishes but that's about all, I think I may start to be a bit more adventurous this year and make some too.

      Delete
  10. Oh yum yum. This looks so delicious. Would love to taste.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We did the same dish for the chinese new year's eve. Haha. Wishing you all the best this year of the monkey! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica, wishing you luck too!

      Delete
  12. Yum! The filling looks delicious. I love chestnuts. I'll have to pick some up and give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Angela, me too, we love to eat chestnuts during the Winter but now that they're so easy to get hold of I guess I could be eating them all year round.

      Delete
  13. Those look incredibly delicious, Vicky! Thanks to your son's girlfriend for sharing her recipe. :-)

    Will share! xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for sharing Shirley. She's delighted that the post has been so popular. It's lovely that she created something suitable for the SCD and still celebrate her cultural traditions, isn't it?

      Delete
  14. Oh these look so fantastically good! Pass us a plate, will you? :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. These look amazing! I am excited about Chinese New Year this year, totally my year :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Good luck in 2016, hope all goes well for you.

      Delete
  16. Oh yum! I love the idea of the chestnut filling inside. This looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chestnuts are such a versatile food in cooking, thank you Liz!

      Delete
  17. OMG these look and sound absolutely INCREDIBLE!! if I were a better chef, I'd definitely try my hand at making them myself xxx

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my all these food posts and I am still at work feeling rather peckish with not a morsel of food in sight :o( x

    ReplyDelete
  19. These look delicious! Will be passing this recipe onto my in laws for one of our fakeaway nights x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Rebecca, what's a fakeaway night?

      Delete
  20. This was really interesting! I love reading anout the Chinese traditions associated with New Year. I never heard of wearing red underwear to ward off bad luck if your in your birthday year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Tori, glad you found it interesting. Apparently blue, white and gold are also lucky for "Monkeys". I tend to wear a lot of black, I need to buy more clothes!

      Delete
  21. Yummmmm!!! These look amazing Vicky! I love dumplings, and these look so delicious. Love that they're gluten free too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harriet, I've never eaten dumplings, it's on my list of things to try this year!

      Delete
  22. These look lovely! I'm really interested in Chinese astrology, it's fascinating!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Emily, I think I'm going to learn more about Chinese astrology this year after writing this post.

      Delete
  23. Now they look great, I love that they name years after animals...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, me too and thank you Charli.

      Delete