Sunday, 7 February 2016

Pear and Ginger Pudding GF SCD

A bowl of grain free pear and ginger pudding with cashew cream

A few years ago I shared this recipe as part of the Seasonal Real Food Blog Series on Recipes to Nourish.  At the time I made this grain free dessert with pears but the combination of apples and pears together works beautifully and if you pop in some berries, the nutritional value of the pudding increases in leaps and bounds. Ginger has exceptional healing properties and is also well known for its powers in aiding recovery from colds and flu making it an ideal choice as a spice in cooking at this time of year. Plus, it's so warming and comforting.

The recipe uses a variation of my grain free plain sponge cake recipe. I should have divided the recipe in half but since it uses 3 eggs, it's much more practical to make enough for perhaps two desserts, freezing any cake that's leftover. It serves 4 to 6 people.

A dish of Grain Free Pear and Ginger Pudding

Pear and Ginger Pudding GF SCD

1 kg pears or apples or a mixture of both (about 8)
½ cup fresh orange juice (or more)
honey to taste (optional)
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
250g Ground Almonds
3 large eggs
3 tblsps extra virgin olive oil
80ml organic honey
1 tblsp pure vanilla extract
½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 tblsps ground ginger
finely grated rind of 1 small lemon
pinch salt


To make the cake :
  • Set the oven to 170° C then line two 7" sandwich cake tins tins with baking parchment or use 6" square tins.
  • Pour the honey, extra virgin olive oil and vanilla extract into the bowl of a food processor then break in the eggs and process until combined.
  • Measure out the ground almonds, lemon rind, ground ginger, bicarbonate of soda and salt into another bowl and whisk together with a fork or balloon whisk.
  • Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients little by little processing on a medium speed until all the dry ingredients have been mixed in.
  • Share the batter between the tins then bake for 20 to 25 minutes in the bottom half of the oven or until a skewer inserted into the cake comes out clean and the top is springy to touch.
  • Allow to cool in the tins for 10 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
  • Place on a board and cut into 1" cubes. 

To make the fruit filling :
  • Peel and slice the fruit.
  • Tip into a pan with the fresh orange juice and cinnamon.
  • Bring slowly to the boil then turn down the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes or until the fruit is soft adding additional orange juice as required.
  • Sweeten with honey to taste.

Cutting up the Ginger Cake into cubes

Serving the Pear and Ginger Pudding

I served this pudding with vanilla cashew cream.

Vanilla Cashew Cream in a jar.

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).

22 comments:

  1. oh wow, yum! I don't think I have ever tried non gluten things before, unless I had something in a cafe without realising. I need to give it a go, this looks lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hannah, gluten free stuff can taste awesome if it's baked properly. This is a really healthy gluten free recipe with lots of good things in it so I reckon it's guilt free really!

      Delete
  2. I have never tried pear and ginger pudding before but this looks like something out of a dream. Anyone wanna give me a good ol' slice lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thankyou Ana, pears and ginger go great together and this is so simple to make.

      Delete
  3. This looks delicious. I don't eat gluten, consequently I tend to just not eat pudding when my family have one - this looks like something everyone would enjoy and I love apple and pear combo - pinning :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We don't eat many puddings either Sarah but everyone eats gluten free here our problem is that some of us don't eat eggs so also have to make a vegan version of this as well sometimes. I think your family will all enjoy it and you don't get to miss out!

      Delete
  4. Though never tried a pairing of ginger and apple I am loving the look of this dissert and hopefully will have some time soon to recreate

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Miranda. I hope you enjoy it if you make it.

      Delete
  5. This sounds delicious! My mum doesn't eat gluten so will show her this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds amazing! My husband would really love this too, he's always saying how good ginger is - I might give it a go, seems like a lovely recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Cliona, it's so simple to make. I'm sure he'd love it.

      Delete
  7. Oh my goodness this looks so good - I wish I could bake! I bet it tastes delicious. Great that it is gluten free too.Kaz x

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds yummy!! I really like pears and ginger so this is right up my street. I also like that you can save half of the cake and freeze it for another time. Not tried cashew cream before but would give it ago :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, freezing one cake makes it much easier and quicker to make the pudding next time around, thank you

      Delete
  9. Love this recipe, the cashew cream sounds particularly inviting....as someone who doesn't use flour and sugar in their diet, I am going to have to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Danielle, cashew cream is lovely, have you cut out all sugars? I only use natural sugars except on special occasions when we choose to use unrefined or coconut sugar.

      Delete
  10. Looks lovely, Ginger is really great for helping with morning sickness and I've been eating loads of it all though my pregnancy, will have to try out this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, yes, I'd heard it could help morning sickness, is it helping you? I'm OK with a little raw ginger, like in smoothies and juices and we use it a lot in Indian food.

      Delete
  11. This sounds amazing. I can see this going down a treat after the Sunday roast

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, I agree it's lovely for Sunday Lunch or anytime really.

      Delete