Monday, 30 May 2011

Toffee Ice Cream GF SCD


I think one of the most difficult things about making ice-cream is remembering to put the bowl in the freezer the night before! Yesterday, since I forgot, I decided to pot up my tomato plants. It was cold and windy outside, so part of my kitchen became a potting shed. Someone gave me some seeds for Christmas, mindful of my first attempts to grow tomatoes last year when under the impression that some seeds fail to germinate, I planted them all. I must have green fingers because I ended up with about 50 plants and since I had nurtured them from the beginning I had to give them away to good homes! This year I am trying to grow cherry tomato plants which are suitable for hanging baskets as well as standard tomatoes and I limited the number of seeds I planted at the end of April. Once more they all grew.





Since Easter they have been growing rapidly! Two weeks ago they were about 9" tall.




This week the standard ones were almost two foot tall! 




It's Bank Holiday Weekend and despite the poor weather we all fancy some ice-cream. It's useful to have a sugar thermometer for this recipe but if you don't have one follow my timings.


Toffee Ice Cream GF SCD


Yogurt Cream


600ml organic double cream
300ml organic whole milk




Make the Yogurt Cream 2 days ahead following my instructions for making SCD yogurt but using organic double cream and organic whole milk instead.


Toffee


120ml mild honey 
25g butter
60ml SCD yogurt 
tiny pinch salt
1 teasp vanilla extract


Line a small tin with baking parchment, no larger than the one I used which was 14cm x 7cm.




Pour the honey and yogurt into a small saucepan and add a tiny pinch of salt.




Heat on a low light until the yogurt and honey are combined, stirring regularly.




Increase the heat up to medium and bring the mixture to the boil without stirring. Turn the heat to low and put a sugar thermometer into the pan.




Cook stirring frequently until the mixture reaches the soft ball temperature.  This process takes about 30 minutes. If you don't have a thermometer, test for the soft ball stage by taking a little of the toffee and dropping it into a saucer of ice cold water. It is ready when it easily forms a ball in the water and flattens when out of the water. Since the toffee is going to be frozen don't worry about being exact.




Take the pan off the heat and add the butter and vanilla extract. Leave for about 10 to 15 minutes for the mixture to cool down. Then beat with a wooden spoon until it becomes thicker and starts to lose its gloss.




Pour into the prepared tin and allow to cool. Place in fridge until ready to use.




This is my recipe which I developed from an old fudge recipe. It's not easy to make fudge with honey instead of sugar and this tastes and behaves more like caramel than fudge and it doesn't go rock hard when frozen.


Vanilla Ice Cream


600ml SCD Yogurt Cream
60-80ml mild honey
1 generous tablsp vanilla extract


Pour the yogurt into a bowl with a pouring spout. Add in the vanilla extract and the honey. This toffee ice-cream recipe is quite sweet so start of with 60ml of honey. You can taste the mixture!




Whisk together using a hand or an electric whisk until the ingredients are combined.




Pour the yogurt into the ice-cream maker and freeze according to your manufacturers instructions.




Take the toffee out of the fridge and divide it into small pieces. It has a chewy caramel texture and is very sticky! I wondered whether putting it in the freezer might help in the cutting stage.




It's not a good idea to add pieces to the mix as it is churning since it tends to dissolve and makes the ice cream VERY sweet, so I add them in chunks. Spoon a quarter of the frozen yogurt into a clean container and spread over a third of the toffee pieces.




Repeat the process until there are four layers of frozen yogurt and three layers of toffee pieces.




Freeze in the freezer for 4 hours or until solid. If you are feeling indulgent there is a wonderful recipe for caramel sauce on Mrs Ed's Research and Recipes that might be lovely poured over the top of the ice-cream once it has cooled.


Please come and say hello on Facebook and Twitter ! 


This recipe was linked to Sugar Free SundayGrain Free TuesdaysGluten-Free WednesdaysReal Food WeeklyAllergy Friendly Friday, Gallery of FavoritesFlu Fighting Foods Blog HopAllergy Friendly Friday

7 comments:

  1. Oh yum!! Thanks for the mention.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! I am drooling for my man all over this one, I can just see how thrilled he would be to get a mouthful of this tasty treat. As soon as I get a minute I am making this--thanks so much for sharing with the GFT bloghop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You wouldn't happen to know the U.S. equivalent for "double cream," would you?
    Stacey

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you could make the yogurt entirely with half and half cream instead of whole milk and double cream. For a richer ice cream Heavy Cream or Heavy Whipping Cream is the nearest equivalent. Try using half Heavy Cream and half whole milk. Hope this helps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a delicious frozen dessert! I think this is my favorite "ice-cream" discovery of the summer. Thank you for sharing this post with the Gallery of favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Alea..there's some lovely posts linked there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds so good! I absolutely love toffee, and especially toffee ice cream - what a lovely treat! Thank you for sharing your recipe with The Gallery of Favorites.

    ReplyDelete