We regularly eat food which requires a home-made tomato sauce. It's lovely poured over burgers or pasta and I've spread it on my home-made pizzas for years!
Tomato Sauce GF SCD
1 medium onion
1 medium carrot
2 cloves garlic crushed
1 400g tin chopped organic tomatoes in tomato juice only
or 500g fresh skinned plum tomatoes chopped and 200ml tomato juice
1/2 red pepper (optional)
2 tsp dried basil or a handful of fresh basil leaves
freshly ground salt and pepper
1 tablsp extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the oil in a deep pan over a medium light. Dice the vegetables finely, tip into the pan and cook for about 10 minutes, stirring regularly.
- When the vegetables are soft, add the crushed garlic and tomatoes.
- Add the dried basil and salt and pepper. If using fresh basil leaves, don't add them at this stage. Continue to cook until the sauce has reduced and thickened which is about 15 to 20 minutes.
- At this stage, add the fresh basil leaves (if not using dried)
- Blend the sauce with a hand blender or leave as it is.
If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).