Pineapple is one of my favourite fruits especially freshly chopped with bananas. It's packed full of Vitamin C as well as being a fantastic source of manganese which helps to support good bone health. It also contains the enzyme, bromelain which has anti-inflammatory properties and also aids digestion.
Some facts you may not know about pineapples :
- A pineapple plant produces only one pineapple every 2 years.
- The pineapple plant produces over 200 flowers while growing the fruit which vary in colour from lavender to red. The individual fruits of these flowers then join together to create the pineapple.
- Its resemblance to a pine cone inspired the English to name the fruit "pineapple" after it was first introduced.
Pineapple Muffins GF SCD
3 large (extra large in US) eggs
250g ground almonds
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1/2 tsp bicarbonate of soda
2 teasp organic vanilla extract (alcohol, water, vanilla only)
250ml cup fresh pineapple chopped into small pieces
dessicated coconut (optional)
- Set the oven to 170°c.
- Place 9 muffin cases into a muffin tray.
- Chop the pineapple into small pieces.
- Break the eggs into the food processor, pour in the honey and vanilla extract and process until smooth.
- Tip the ground almonds into the eggs mixture, add the salt, cinnamon and bicarbonate of soda and process until everything has combined.
- Pour the mixture into a bowl and stir in the chopped pineapple.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin cases until they are 3/4 full, the mixture should be just too thick to pour, then sprinkle with dessicated coconut.
- Bake in the oven for 30 to 40 minutes until the top springs back when lightly touched.
If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).