- SCD yogurt is fermented for 24 hours in order to make it lactose-free and therefore easier to digest
- The bacteria cultures that are used to ferment the milk are restricted to specific ones which have been proven to be beneficial. These strains of probiotic bacteria are useful in displacing bad bacteria in the colon.
Items required to make yogurt are :
- A Yogurt Maker (this one has a temperature control for the SCD/GAPS Diet)
- A Bowl provided with yogurt maker
- Plastic spoon
- Sterilising equipment - I use a cold water baby bottle steriliser and Milton tablets
- A large stainless steel pan and lid
- 1 litre whole milk - I use UHT or organic whole milk
- Yogurt starter
Cleanliness is essential! Thoroughly wash your hands before touching any of the equipment and wipe down all surfaces with a cleaner such as Dettox. Ensure that all the equipment is spotless.
Making the Yogurt
- Pour a litre of milk in the pan then bring it to the boil and let it simmer for 3 minutes.
- Cool the milk down to room temperature.
- Sterilise the bowl, lid and spoon.
- Take the bowl and lid out of the steriliser - I pour boiling water into the bowl to rinse.
- Spoon the yogurt starter into the bowl.
- Pour a little of the milk onto the starter, stir then pour in the rest of the milk. Place the lid on the bowl.
- After 24 hours, unplug the yogurt maker, take out the bowl and leave in the fridge overnight or for at least 8 hours.
- To cool the milk quickly, first let it cool in the pan for about ten minutes then place the pan in a bowl of cold water.
- Try to find a pan with a straining lid. A while ago, I invested in a Meyer 5 Piece Stainless Steel Cookware Set and I love the straining lids.
- I use the Lakeland Yogurt Maker but they now sell one with a temperature control specifically for the SCD and GAPS Diet on Amazon so if you live in the UK and would like to find out more about it, click on the image below.
If you would like to receive notifications of my healthy, vegan and vegetarian recipes, please subscribe by email (top right).