Thursday, 7 June 2012

Waldorf Salad GF SCD - An Anti-Prostate Cancer Dish


I've always loved Waldorf Salad but my usual take on it is nothing like the one prepared today at The Waldorf Astoria. This video shows the chef preparing the salad using candied walnuts - I've never used candied walnuts! My Waldorf Salad has always been very basic - chopped apple, chopped celery, walnuts, a few raisins and yogurt or mayonnaise.

The original salad was created by the first maître d'hôtel, Oscar Tschirky, and appeared in his recipe book, The Cook Book by "Oscar of The Waldorf" in 1986. It didn't contain nuts but the recipe became extremely popular and nuts started to appear in the recipe early in the 20th century.

Four years ago my lovely brother-in-law, a Geordie and extremely talented musician with a love for Americana music, sadly died of prostate cancer and I'm quite passionate ensuring that our diet will help my boys to avoid this disease.

The ingredients of Waldorf Salad make it the ideal anti-prostate cancer food :

  • Walnuts - sufferers of prostate cancer have elevated levels of endothelin, a protein that can increase inflammation of blood vessels. Research from the University of California has shown that eating walnuts can reduce these levels.
  • Apples - are rich in Quercetin, a flavonoid antioxidant which can prevent or reduce the growth of prostate cell cancer cells by blocking androgen activity.
  • Celery - is high in the flavonoid, luteolin, which has been shown to repress prostate cancer cell proliferation.

We are anxious to include as many of these anti-prostate cancer foods in our diet as possible since it appears that the risk is higher for men with a family history of prostate cancer. Hopefully, our plant based diet of the last few decades will have greatly reduced this risk for my husband.

I am using a cashew based mayonnaise. There are conflicting reports about whether cashews should or should not be part of an anti-cancer diet. Cashews are high in alpha-linolenic acid and some studies have suggested that high levels of alpha-linolenic acid may contribute to prostate cancer. Other studies found no such relationship since cashews are an excellent source of Vitamin K and selenium. Vitamin K has been shown to reduce the occurrence of prostate cancer in men and recent studies have shown that prostate inflammation and cancer occur in males who have low levels of selenium in the blood. I think moderation is probably the key.  I found one chat page where someone discovered that by eating 100 grams of cashews a day he could reduce the inflammation of his prostate gland.
"A large 2006 study found no association between total α-linolenic acid intake and overall risk of prostate cancer.[17] Multiple studies[18][19] have shown a relationship between alpha-linolenic acid (ALA), which is abundant in linseed oil, and an increased risk of prostate cancer. This risk was found to be irrespective of source of origin (e.g. meat, vegetable oil).[20] A recent (2009) metastudy, however, found evidence of publication bias in earlier studies, and concluded that if ALA contributes to increased prostate cancer risk, the increase in risk is quite small" Wikipedia

Waldorf Salad GF SCD


3 - 4 Organic Red Sweet Apples (I used Royal Gala)
3 - 4 sticks of organic celery (include some if the celery heart and its leaves)
6 tblspns raisins
Dressing (see below)
Candied walnuts (see below)

Dressing :

½ cup (120ml) organic raw cashews soaked for 2 hours in spring/filtered water
3½ tblsps organic walnut oil
1 large floret of cauliflower
60 ml filtered or spring water
3 tblsps lemon juice  
1 tsp mustard (to taste - I used 1 tsp)
1 tsp honey (maple syrup for vegan not SCD)
1 tsp organic apple cider vinegar 
pinch salt

Soak the cashews in spring or filtered water for at least two hours.


Drain and tip into the blender with the cauliflower.


Blend until smooth.


Slowly add the walnut oil to the blended cashews and cauliflower. Then, if you are following the SCD, make some mustard using dried mustard powder.


Add some spring or filtered water to the powder and mix until you get the correct consistency.


Squeeze the lemons.


Add the honey (or other liquid sweetener), lemon juice, mustard, cider vinegar and salt to the blender and blend together. Pour into a glass container and chill in the fridge for a few hours, this is best made at least one day before if possible because the flavours come together very nicely when it's been chilled a day or so. If you think it's a little too thin, add a little more cauliflower. Though the dressing thickens over a few days in the fridge.


Candied Walnuts :


180g walnut pieces (about 2 cups)
4 tsps honey (or vegan option, maple syrup - not SCD legal)
1 tsp fennel seeds (optional, advanced SCD)
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper

Heat the oven to 170° C. We didn't use all the spice mix in the recipe, leaving out about half a teaspoon. This has a bit of a kick to it so if you prefer it less spicy, use less cayenne pepper or less of the mix. These candied walnuts glisten and contrast quite dramatically with the pale dressed salad.



Crush the fennel seeds in a pestle and mortar. Sometimes it's easier to do this if you fry them in a little oil for a minute or two. Add the other spices and mix.


Pour the honey (or other liquid sweetener) slowly over the walnuts and mix.


Sprinkle the spices over and stir gently.


Lay out some baking parchment on a tray and place the walnut pieces separately on the paper.


Bake for 15 to 20 minutes but be careful not to burn them.


Set on one side to cool. Prepare the other ingredients. Slice the celery and include some of the tender leaves from the heart.


Chop the apple into bite sized chunks.


Tip the sliced celery and apple pieces into a bowl, sprinkle on the raisins and stir.


Add about 8 tablespoons of the dressing (more or less to your taste) and mix in.


Sprinkle with some of the candied walnuts.


This recipe serves 4 to 6 people.

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).



26 comments:

  1. oh my gosh that looks SO delicious! i love waldorf salad! this one is amazing! -- no mayo or gross ingredients! cauliflower to the rescue!! :) thanks so much for this great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Caralyn! Cauliflower is so versatile in cooking ...never thought I'd be getting through so much of it!

    I'm really enjoying cashew cream now, it works perfectly.

    Thank you for coming by!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks so refreshing and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Another amazing and healthy salad-love it Vicky! Now I need my hubby to eat this as it is the perfect anti-cancer meal for a man. I always love your nutrition tidbits and fabulous pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Carol - It really is! I actually like it better than the classic dressing. Thank you for your comment, I really appreciate it.

    Laura - Thank you! I could eat this every day...I love classic salads! An apple a day keeps the doctor away certainly fits here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh Vicky...

    This is just beautiful. I love how much love you put into your recipes. You blow me away with your creations! I love your mayo. WOW! Just really great. I too love Waldorf salad. And this looks just perfect.

    I also appreciate all the anti-prostate cancer information you included. Often we don't take the time to research what foods are good (or not so good) and for what. This is what I love and cherish about your blog. Thank you!

    Have a beautiful weekend friend.

    Hugs,
    -Amber

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks yummy! Did you know it's GAPS legal, too? (Most SCD recipes are). I'd love it if you would stop by and share it on my new blog carnival, GAPS Friendly Fridays!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amber - Thank you for your lovely compliments, I really appreciate them!

    The mayonnaise has been adapted from the one in my Coleslaw recipe. It's been significantly altered for this recipe. If you try this mayonnaise it really improves over a couple of days in the fridge.

    Hope your weekend is fun-filled!

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Joy - Thank you...and thank you for posting the link - awesome! Your blog carnival is such a great idea! I'll have to research more into the GAPS Diet. I imagine quite a few of my recipes are GAPS legal.

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello sweet Vicky, What a wonderful post and recipe, as always! I am so very sorry to hear about your dear brother~in~law! That is terribly sad! I appreciate all of the information you shared. Your hubby is very blessed to have you look after him so well. The salad looks delicious and I can hardly wait to try the mayo and candied walnuts. I appreciate you sharing the lovely photos too! You are amazing sweet friend! I hope you have a very lovely weekend! Love, Paula xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Paula, it is at this time of year that we think of him the most!

    If you do try the salad, please let me know if you enjoyed it :)

    Have a wonderful weekend.

    Vicky x

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love that you have used cashews and cauliflower in the dressing for this! It sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never had Waldorf salad - have heard of it but never even knew the ingredients. I love your photos and it looks really delicious. I have most of the ingredients on hand, except for the apples. I think I will plan to try it next weekend. The cashew/cauliflower mayonnaise is very intriguing as well! Also, I am very sorry to hear about your brother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Amy - Thank you! I've only just started experimenting with cashews, I really can't believe how smooth and refreshing this dressing is!

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  15. Starlene - such a beautiful name - Thank you, I wish he had been diagnosed earlier, he would have stood a chance of surviving.

    Let me know if you try the recipe, if you make the mayonnaise a couple of days before and keep it in the fridge it tastes even better.

    Vicky

    ReplyDelete
  16. Vicky, I'm so sorry about your brother-in-law. My uncle also died of prostate cancer.

    I love the idea that food can be nourishing and healing. It gives us some sense of empowerment, I think. The candied walnuts look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great salad! Great idea about blending cauli and cashews to make the dressing, and your candied walnuts sound fantastic! Thanks for sharing this with Summer Salad Sundays, look forward to seeing you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Joann - Thank you! Yes! I love the idea that it gives us a sense of empowerment, perfectly said!

    Debbie - Thank you for hosting the Summer Salad Sundays, lovely recipes posted there!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have chosen to feature your salad this week! I have tweeted it, pinned it and shared it on my Facebook page. It will be featured on Summer Salad Sundays this coming Sunday. Thanks for linking up and I hope to see you again soon!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you Debbie, that just made my day!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I LOVE this sweet and savory salad!!! Thank you for sharing at Fit and Fabulous Fridays! Come back soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi Vicky,
    I just love to serve a Waldorf Salad and will feel even better about serving it now that I know about the "good for you" value. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  23. Well i dont eat glutten free or SCD but I still think this looks absolutely fantastic!!! I especially love the look of that dressing- yummo! Definitely going to pin this for use very soon. Found you through the Summer salad carnival, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Many studies have shown that a vegetarian diet can greatly decrease the likelihood of cancer. I love the ingredients in your waldorf salad. Thank You for sharing this with us at Whole Food Wednesdays. http://www.beyondthepeel.net/2012/06/mostimportanttoremember.html

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thank you France! Let's hope you're right! I know a vegan diet is now recommended for people with cancer. We still eat cheese but have cut down to once or twice a week, tending to now opt for vegan meals.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you are having a great week and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete