I'm on a post Easter detox! Faced with the awful truth that chocolate doesn't agree with me any more (sad face) and that it is probably the cause of my increased heart rate this week and the restless leg syndrome symptoms at night, I'm going cold turkey! Fortunately, there's nothing I like better than a bowl of delicious fresh tasting pea soup to welcome in the Summer months and it takes only a few minutes to make.
Did you know that fresh peas can lose about 15% of their nutrients travelling from the farm to the store and that frozen peas may actually be better for you? If you grow your own and can eat them freshly picked you are very lucky since, in my opinion, peas should be named as one of the planet's superfoods. Bursting with nutrients, they are also a good source of protein. I always have an enormous bag of frozen peas stashed in my freezer so I've made this soup with frozen peas but do use fresh peas if you have some.
To further increase the nutrients, I've scattered some rocket (arugula) into the soup. These pretty oak shaped leaves are packet full of peppery goodness and are a perfect addition to the soup.
And for even more goodness, I've included a handful of fresh mint. Be liberal with it if you make this soup, it needs a lot!
750 g frozen peas (about 6 cups)
2 large handfuls of rocket leaves (arugula)
1 medium sweet or yellow onion
a handful of fresh mint leaves chopped
600 - 750 ml of vegetable stock or filtered water
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt & freshly ground black pepper
toasted flaked almonds, chopped mint and extra rocket to garnish
- Toast the flaked almonds for a couple of minutes in a frying pan and set on one side.
- Heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a large pan.
- Finely chop the onion, add to the pan and cook on a low heat until translucent.
- Add the peas, rocket and chopped mint.
- Pour over 600 ml of stock or water saving the rest to thin it out if necessary.
- Bring to the boil then simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Blend the soup preferably using an immersion blender, thinning it out with extra stock or water if needed.
- Serve immediately with extra chopped mint, rocket leaves and toasted almonds sprinkled over the top.