Saturday, 17 December 2011

Sugar Free Mincemeat GF SCD


I'm getting quite excited for Christmas now and really looking forward to seeing family and relaxing for a few days. But the run up to the big day and the preparation of food is quite hectic! We love mince pies! I always used to buy an organic mincemeat but since cooking for the SCD I've made it myself. This recipe doesn't contain any additional sugar, the natural sweetness of the fruit itself is enough!

Mincemeat GF SCD

450g ripe pears
225g raisins (I use Sunmaid)
175g organic sultanas
150g organic dried apricots
100g mixed dried berries (cranberries, blueberries, cherries, blackcurrants etc)
100g organic dates
grated rind of 1 unwaxed lemon
grated rind of 1 unwaxed orange
50g flaked almonds
1 tsp mixed spice
½ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp ground ginger
4 tblsps whisky (or omit if alcohol free)

I save all my glass jars during the year. This mixture is enough to fill four 340g honey jars, which each measure about one cup. Sterilise the jars:
  •  Heat the oven to 140°C
  •  wash some used jam jars in the dishwasher
  •  rinse the jars thoroughly in clean cold water
  •  place the jars upside down on a clean shelf in the oven for 30 minutes.


Measure out the apricots and chop in a processor until fairly smooth.


Spoon into a large bowl. Chop the dates and add to the bowl.



Measure out the raisins, sultanas and berries then mix with the dates and apricots.


Add the spices. I prepare my own SCD legal mixed spice to avoid the possibility of fillers being added, check the link in the recipe. Tip in the ground almonds and the grated lemon and orange rind.


You don't have to be exact with the measurement of the pears, 450g is about 5 small pears.


Peel and quarter the pears.Chop the pears in the processor, no need to wash between chopping the apricots and dates.


Add the pears to the fruit and mix well. Measure out the whisky and mix in. Omit the whisky if you prefer it to be alcohol free but it will not store as well as the version with alcohol, so make it before you use it.


Spoon into your prepared sterilised jars. Cut some greaseproof paper circles to lay directly on top of the mincemeat.


Cut some larger circles to cover the top of the jar. Seal with the original lid.



If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).



13 comments:

  1. I love mincemeat!! So nice to see a sugar-free version. Thanks so much for submitting to WellnessWeekend this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Ricki, I love wellness weekend! Having made this for a few years now, I wonder why most recipes add extra sugar!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so pleased to see a suet-free mincemeat recipe that sounds SO good! (All the British recipes contain suet, which is hard to source in North America.) I have now linked to this recipe from my Mincemeat and Brandy cake recipe post earlier this week. Wonderful this recipe is sugar free too, and I love the addition of the pears! Yum! Thank you so much for sharing this post with the Gallery of Favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like the perfect mix of flavors for Christmas baking - so spicy and comforting. Thanks for sharing on Sweet Indulgences Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for linking your great post to FAT TUESDAY. This was very interesting! Hope to see you next week!

    Be sure to visit RealFoodForager.com on Sunday for Sunday Snippets – your post from Fat Tuesday may be featured there!

    http://realfoodforager.com/2011/12/fat-tuesday-december-20-2011/

    ReplyDelete
  6. great recipe, looking forward to trying it. how long should it keep for?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Caroline! Thank you! I'm not sure! The whisky should keep it preserved for some time! But I keep it in the fridge and it's usually all gone in a couple of weeks. One jar did manage to remain for a few months though once and it looked OK, though we didn't eat it!

      Delete
    2. Hi Vicky, I just made my first batch and the smell is christmas in a jar, just heavenly! I used rum instead of whiskey. so looking forward to using it. thank you!











      Delete
    3. Awesome! I'll start making mine in a couple of weeks! I can't wait for mince pies!

      Delete
    4. I've always stored mine in the fridge. You can freeze Christmas cakes and mince pies so I imagine it will freeze.

      Delete
  7. Thank you so much for this recipe. I've just made a batch of mincemeat using another 'healthy' recipe that did include sugar as I couldn't find a sugar free recipe. I wasn't too keen on the recipe I used as it had cranberries in which were a bit tart. This looks very easy too so I'm going to give it a try for when I get through my batch of mince meat. Is it possible to simmer this to remove the alcohol content? Many thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katherine, you could just leave it out if you're going to use it within a couple of days, it does help to preserve the mincemeat as well as adding an extra kick but it's OK not to put it in!

      Hope you enjoy it, Happy Christmas!

      Delete