Thursday, 19 April 2012

Mediterranean Kidney Bean Burgers GF SCD


Kidney beans originated in Peru and were introduced to Southern and Central America by migrating Indian traders. They were brought back to Europe in the late 15th Century by explorers on their return from The New World. I love their deep red colour, so attractive in bean salads and hot dishes.

When I was researching the nutritional benefits of kidney beans, I discovered that one cup contains about three times the daily dietary requirement of Molybdenum, an essential trace mineral. Deficiency of molybdenum is rare but levels may be depleted by poor diet or long term parenteral feeding often experienced by sufferers of IBD.


These deep red beans are rich in protein and in addition to molybdenum, are a great source of the following :
  • manganese
  • iron
  • phosphorus
  • copper
  • Vitamin B1
  • folate
  • Vitamin K
But beware - uncooked kidney beans also contain a high concentration of phytohaemagglutinin, a toxic substance also known as kidney bean lectin. Soaking kidney beans for at least five hours and rapidly boiling them for ten minutes is required to destroy the high levels of this toxin, however, if you are following the SCD then you might like to follow the advice available hereKidney beans are one of the few legumes allowed for followers of the Specific Carbohydrate Diet but only when an advanced stage of healing has been achieved.

These burgers are best made in advance and stored covered in the fridge. If you eat eggs you could bind the mixture with an egg.

Mediterranean Kidney Bean Burgers GF SCD

450g cooked kidney beans
50g black olives (optional)
2 red or yellow peppers
1 large carrot
1 large red onion
3 large cloves garlic crushed
a handful of sweet cherry tomatoes
6 tblsps ground almonds plus extra for coating
1 tsp dried or 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
1 heaped tsp dried basil
2 heaped tsps dried oregano
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil

  • Set the oven to 180° C.
  • Slice the red peppers in half and de-seed them.
  • Place in a baking tin, drizzle with some extra virgin olive oil and roast in the oven for 40 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, prepare the other vegetables. Finely dice the red onion and grate the carrot.
  • Chop the cherry tomatoes in half.
  • De-stone and chop the olives into small pieces.
  • Heat a tablespoon of olive oil in a frying pan over a medium heat. Tip in the chopped onion and fry for about ten minutes or until soft. Add the crushed garlic and grated carrot then cook for a further five minutes.
  • Tip the tomatoes, dried oregano, dried parsley and dried basil into the pan and cook until the tomatoes have softened.
  • Mash the kidney beans in a bowl.
  • When the peppers have cooked chop into small chunks, add to the bowl with the cooked onion, carrot, tomatoes and stir well.
  • Add the chopped olives and almond flour, season well with freshly ground black pepper and sea salt and mix together. If the mixture looks a bit wet, add extra almond flour.
  • Stir in the fresh parsley.
  • Tip some ground almonds on to a plate and shape the mixture into eight burgers coating each one in ground almonds.
  • Heat a little extra virgin olive oil in a pan and fry over a gentle heat for about twenty minutes, turning after about ten. Be careful not to burn them since the almond flour browns very quickly.



You may like to serve these burgers with a tomato sauce.

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).


23 comments:

  1. This looks wonderful! Thanks! So - one question. If I soak my beans overnight and then cook them w/ ajwain or epazote like in my post, am I OK as far as that toxin is concerned? I'd never heard of that. http://wholenewmom.com/recipes/how-to-degas-beans/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adrienne - Thank you for popping over! Soaking the kidney beans for at least five hours and rapid boiling them for ten minutes is the recommendation of the FDA to ensure that the toxin is reduced. Personally I soak them overnight or at least eight hours.

    From what I understand, soaking the kidney beans reduces the oligosaccharides (the carbohydrates responsible for producing gas) AS WELL as reducing the cooking time of the beans. It helps to avoid the skin splitting during the cooking process and removes the surface dirt from the beans hence the reason for giving them a very good rinse prior to cooking them.

    I prefer to soak my beans in plenty of filtered or spring water covered overnight in a glass container in the fridge. The longer soaking just seems to soften them more.

    It is the rapid boiling that kills the toxin. I rarely rapid boil for just the 10 minutes. I tend to rapid boil them for 15 to 20 minutes, I then rinse them again with some boiling water from the kettle before cooking them for up to 90 minutes or until the centre is soft. I'm not sure about the rules for using a pressure cooker to cook the kidney beans.

    I must have missed your post! It's very interesting! I don't even know if ajwain or epazote are SCD "legal" since they're not on the list. But it's a great recommendation for people not on the diet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Vicky,

    These burgers look like perfection. Bursting with flavors (olives, garlic, fresh tomatoes, my favorite herbs, roasted peppers). Wonderful!

    Thanks too for the advice on FB!

    Hugs,
    --Amber

    ReplyDelete
  4. u had me at kidney bean burger.. i love kidney beans! and with all those flavors partying in there! yumm

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vicky,

    Your recipes are always so nourishing and wholesome-I love them! These burgers are jam packed with fiber and vitamins...a must try recipe for me!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Other than the olives I can totally go for these, Vicky! Son has been asking for the vegan version of black bean burgers again. I think I'll make these for him instead. ;-)

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello sweet Vicky! Another wonderful recipe! These look fabulous! I haven't tried beans in the 4 years I have been on the SCD, but I would like to, and I did purchase red lentils on our last grocery shopping trip. Thank you for all of the information you share. It is very helpful. I love your beautiful photos too! Could another bean be substituted for the kidney beans? I am so glad you enjoyed these! Thank you for sharing! I really appreciate all of your posts and the time and effort you put into each one! Have a lovely Friday and weekend! xo~Paula

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you Amber! I was making these at the same time as your pasta recipe! The flavours are the same!

    Richa - I totally agree with you about the kidney beans!

    Laura - Thank you, we do eat a lot of very wholesome foods but now and again we do treat ourselves! Hope you enjoy them!

    Shirley - I didn't used to like olives but I forced myself to eat them and now I can't get enough of them! BUT I had to make some without olives for my daughter who still doesn't care for them! Because these are for the SCD they are a bit mushy but you might like to make them firmer by using oats or breadcrumbs instead of the almond flour.

    I love black beans, I've posted a vegan burger version here Black Bean Burgers if you want to take a look. Thank you for visiting!

    Paula - You are so welcome! I think you should be fine to introduce beans and lentils but it might be a good idea to go carefully. I'm sure you could use navy or black beans and if you eat eggs, you can also bind the mixture with an egg.

    Thank you for your lovely comments ladies. I hope you have all have a lovely weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. These sound and look so tasty and also nutritious! I wish I had the energy to make them for lunch right now, but I am cleaning the house and doing laundry. Something's gotta give.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Vicky,
    I just love a great veggie burger and your recipe is awesome. I can't wait to make this burger! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear, these look soo good - wish I had all the ingredients right now to make them. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your burgers look wonderful! My husband loves veggie burgers and I like feeding him healthy food so this recipe is win-win for us. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Ella - Thank you, I hope you get to try them sometime!

    Alea - These are lovely (my daughter said so and that's promising!). The only trouble with them is they're a little bit soft and not always everyone's cup of tea - the down side of cooking for the SCD!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sounds delicious!! Thank you for sharing these amazing burgers on Fit and Fabulous Fridays!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've always been afraid to cook my own kidney beans because of that toxin, so I found your post really helpful! Your Mediterranean Kidney Bean Burgers look so delicious. I really like the addition of the lovely vegetables, and especially the olives!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I can see how this recipe can work, kidney beans are really meaty. Please share this on my foodie friday linky today.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations!
    Your recipe is featured on Full Plate Thursday this week. Hope you have a great week end and enjoy your new Red Plate.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello again dear Vicky! I tried the red lentils and did well with them! Yay! I had a small serving and they were delicious! I think I will try the navy beans. Thank you for letting me know! I do eat eggs and will try mixing them in. These look so good! Do you not tolerate eggs well? I hope you have a wonderful weekend! PS~ I could not make your yummy cookies last weekend as I did not have any bananas, but I will be going grocery shopping tomorrow and get some. Hopefully they will have some ripe ones. I will share on my blog when I make them. xo

    ReplyDelete
  19. Paula - That's great news! If you can eat lentils and beans there will be so many new recipes for you to try. I think you are doing the right thing to take things very carefully!

    I eat eggs but I don't like egg dishes. For example, I will eat muffins etc but not scrambled eggs. Also my husband doesn't eat them so most of the savoury foods I post don't include eggs.

    I hope you enjoy the simple banana cookies!

    Have a lovely weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Vicky--I've made these twice now with variations depending upon what was on hand. I've used onions, celery (with leaves), carrots, peppers, garlic, etc. Today I added some quinoa flakes along with the almond flour. Either or both work fine though. Anyway, thanks for the idea of using kidney burgers. I'll check out your Black Bean Burgers, too. Athough we're pretty fond of my recipe for those, I'm sure yours will offer other ideas.

    Thanks!
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks Shirley, I would also add celery too but I tend to post what we eat and unfortunately one of us does not like celery and I can't sneak it in because she can detect even the slightest bit.

    If I wasn't cooking for the SCD I would also add something to absorb some of the liquid as well as an egg I think. Quinoa flakes are such a good choice, they'll also boost the protein levels!

    Is your recipe for Black Bean Burgers on your site? I had a look at your index but couldn't see it. I love bean burgers!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I understand on the dislike of celery (I only like it in dishes myself) and SCD factors. I added an egg today, but not the first time.

    My Blackened Black Bean Burgers are in my index under Breakfasts (I love high protein, non-traditional breakfasts) and Entrees. Or you can use my search, but here's the link: http://glutenfreeeasily.com/blackened-black-bean-burgers/

    Shirley

    ReplyDelete