Friday, 26 July 2013

Sugar Free Strawberry & Peach "Ice Cream" GF SCD


For the first time in years we're having Summer weather in the UK and I LOVE sunshine and hot weather. Having enjoyed a fantastic couple of weeks in Canada this year coming back to the same climate was such a treat! 
I never sweeten smoothies so why sweeten ice cream? I decided to experiment and this is the result. It's not really ice cream and it's not a sorbet either. Also, it's not very sweet but it is refreshing and a perfect guilt free treat especially at this time of year. And it has another advantage since I can add a couple of spoonfuls into my fresh fruit smoothies to cool them instantly. 


The first time I made it (the picture above) I added extra almond milk but it lacked flavour a little and it was slightly watery, however, I think if you decided to use coconut milk, it would be deliciously creamy. If you are making the almond milk yourself try using less water to make a creamier milk.

Sugar Free Strawberry & Peach "Ice Cream" GF SCD

500 g strawberries
2 ripe peaches
250 ml almond milk (or other dairy free milk)
8 pitted dates (more or less to taste)
½ tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tsp organic vanilla extract

These ingredients make just under a litre of ice cream. Wash and cut the tops off the strawberries.


Peel and chop the peaches.


Tip the fruit into a blender.


Blend the fruit.


Add the dates, fresh lemon juice, vanilla extract and almond milk then blend together.


At this point taste the liquid and add extra dates if required. Strain the liquid.


Pour into a jug and chill in the fridge for a few hours. Take it out and mix well using an electric or hand whisk. If you have an ice cream maker, pour into the machine and let it work its magic for about half an hour.


If you don't own an ice cream maker, pour into a container and place in the freezer. After about 90 minutes, take it out of the freezer and whisk (preferably with an electric hand whisk or blender), put it back in and repeat this process a couple of times before leaving to freeze. This breaks down the ice crystals and helps create a smooth dessert.


After about half an hour in the ice cream maker, pour into a bowl and mix well using a hand whisk before pouring into your ice cream container and placing in the freezer. As above in the instructions on how to make it without an ice cream maker, it's worth taking it out after about an hour and whisking once more before leaving to freeze. This minimises the chance of ice crystals forming.


Take out of the freezer before serving to make it easier to serve.

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).

16 comments:

  1. That looks absolutely amazing, Vicky! Love the color and the ingredients! :-)

    xo,
    Shirley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Shirley! The colour is beautiful isn't it? But weirdly it changes colour as it gets warmer. It starts off a deep red and ends up a much warmer pink - most strange!

      Vicky xo

      Delete
  2. Oh Vicky...this looks so delicious and refreshing. I can't wait to make! I love strawberries and peaches together. And I love that you used a coconut free milk in there (I've been using coconut milk too much lately for ice creams...I need to branch out a little). Thank you for the inspiration.

    Hugs,
    -Amber

    P.S. So glad you are enjoying some summer weather. The sun is so healing and replenishing. Enjoy!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amber! Of course we can't use coconut milk so I haven't been able to try your tropical ice cream - our milk all has guar gum in it. I don't know if I trust the brands that say they don't have anything added - some people have done further research and found that they actually do!!

      The weather has been cooler of late but it's set to get hotter later in the week. We have been very fortunate this year for which I am most grateful!!! Usually our Summers are wet and you are so right, the sun is healing and replenishing - it adds a smile to everyone's face!

      Vicky xo

      Delete
  3. How many hours are a few hours? 2?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I usually leave it in at least two hours because the colder it is, the easier it is to freeze in the ice cream maker.

      Delete
  4. Vicky,
    Your pictures are always so stunning! I love this recipe, and you can't beat the healthy ingredients! I will try this soon for the girls!
    xo,
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Megan! I can't taste the dates and they add just a little sweetness!

      Delete
  5. Hasn't the weather been wonderful this year? We are in Canada at the moment and it's been lovely, although it is raining today. I love this lovely Strawberry & Peach ice cream. It's so healthy, but sounds so delicious too. It makes you feel good about having a treat! Thank you for sharing it with the Hearth and Soul hop. I've linked to it on my FB page :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hasn't it!! Oh how I wish I was back in Canada, I expect you've had a wonderful time. I can't get over the fact that travelling miles is just the norm, we went all over the place. Have you been to Port Stanley? We spent a wonderful day on the beach there with the family!

      Delete
  6. Delicious vicky I love the combo of fresh strawberry and peach, making ice cream at home will easy and can try lot combos which is not available in stores.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Swathi! I haven't had my ice cream maker out as much as I would have liked to this year but yes, I agree, it's so nice to experiment with different flavour combinations :)

      Delete
  7. Vicky, I found you on Allergy Free Wednesday; this ice cream looks amazing! And free of refined sugar to boot. Looking forward to trying it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Hope you enjoy it! Popping over to see you now!

      Delete
  8. totally modified it but in a fun way, I hope: splash of almond essence+ 2 incredibly ripe bananas+5 Turkish figs, cut up + homemade strawberry puree+ juice of 2 lemons+ 1/4 C homemade pineapple vanilla marmelade+a TB of cornstarch + 250 ml almond milk. Voilá: tuttifrutti!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds delicious! Thank you for letting me know but it sounds that you created your own recipe. Have a lovely day!

      Delete