When roasting pears, I've always taken out the core as well as the stem but apparently you can make the pears look much prettier if you just use a melon baller (I couldn't find mine) to take out the core and leave the stems intact. Doing this will create a more "impressive presentation". That said, these are much easier to eat!
Sainsbury's sent me a packet of flaked almonds to use this month and I thought they would be lovely sprinkled on top of the pears.
Caramelised Pears GF SCD
6 pears (ripe but still firm)
25 g flaked almonds
30 g butter or vegan spread (not SCD)
3 tablespoons honey or maple syrup (not SCD)
1 medium organic orange (without the wax)
- Set the oven to 160° C (fan/convection oven).
- Cut the pears in half then core them preferably using a melon baller. Leave the stems intact or remove them if you wish. Peel the pears and leave in water or dip in some lemon juice while you prepare the other fruit.
- Place in an oven proof dish and dot with the butter or vegan spread.
- Wash and zest the orange and sprinkle it over the pears.
- squeeze the orange then pour the juice over the pears.
- Drizzle with 3 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup.
- Bake in the oven, initially for about 35 - 40 minutes, turning the pears after about 15 minutes and regularly basting the pears with the juice.
- After about 35 minutes, take out of the oven and sprinkle with the flaked almonds.
- Put back into the oven for another 15 to 20 minutes and continue to baste with the juice.
- The pears are ready when golden and soft.
These would be nice to served with vanilla cashew cream.