Thursday, 15 October 2015

Spicy Candied Walnut Pieces GF SCD

Spicy Candied Walnuts

Since the festive season is approaching, I thought I'd share with you our recipe for candied walnuts which feature in my Waldorf Salad recipe. We use the walnut pieces because they're quite economical but if you prefer to use walnut halves, they will look much prettier!

Spicy Candied Walnut Pieces GF SCD


180g walnut pieces (about 2 cups)
4 tsps honey (or vegan option, maple syrup - not SCD legal)
1 tsp fennel seeds (optional, advanced SCD)
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper

  • Heat the oven to 170° C.
  • Crush the fennel seeds with the paprika and cayenne pepper in a pestle and mortar. 
  • Tip the walnuts into a bowl then pour the honey or maple syrup slowly over the walnuts and mix.
  • Sprinkle the spices over and stir gently.
  • Spread some baking parchment on a baking tray.
  • Tip the walnut pieces on to the tray, carefully separating them.
  • Bake for 15 to 20 minutes but be careful not to burn them.

Spices being ground in a pestle and mortar

Honey or maple syrup poured over the walnuts

Add spices and stirred into the walnuts

Candied walnuts on the baking parchment

If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).


10 comments:

  1. I cannot wait for candied nut season to start. We usually take a bag with us to Bonfire Night, so not long now! I usually make my own the stove top so I'm looking forward to trying your oven baked method. They look scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't believe it's almost Bonfire Night, the year has flown (which I'm so happy about since it's not been a good one!). You can make them on the stove top if you like but I think these work better in the oven because of the sticky sweetener!

      Delete
  2. I love doing different flavored nuts to snack on or to add to salads! YUM! Look great!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're so healthy for you too! We often also spice up almonds or cashews, so much cheaper than the bought ones and with no added nasties either! Thanks Jennifer!

      Delete
  3. Love candied nuts! Especially with a bit of spice. Sounds gorgeous :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Aimee, I think they add so much to any dish in terms of nutrition and of course just to snack on they're perfect!

      Delete
  4. Just had to stop by again and take another look at this lovely snack! YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love candied walnuts! The addition of spices to this sounds so delicious! Love paprika!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love paprika too, we go through a ton of it! Hope you have a lovely weekend Harriet :)

      Delete