Since the festive season is approaching, I thought I'd share with you our recipe for candied walnuts which feature in my Waldorf Salad recipe. We use the walnut pieces because they're quite economical but if you prefer to use walnut halves, they will look much prettier!
4 tsps honey (or vegan option, maple syrup - not SCD legal)
1 tsp fennel seeds (optional, advanced SCD)
1 tsp paprika
½ tsp cayenne pepper
- Heat the oven to 170° C.
- Crush the fennel seeds with the paprika and cayenne pepper in a pestle and mortar.
- Tip the walnuts into a bowl then pour the honey or maple syrup slowly over the walnuts and mix.
- Sprinkle the spices over and stir gently.
- Spread some baking parchment on a baking tray.
- Tip the walnut pieces on to the tray, carefully separating them.
- Bake for 15 to 20 minutes but be careful not to burn them.