This green lentil salad is super delicious and full of plant protein. High in protein and low in fat, green lentils are rich in dietary fibre and phytonutrients which are essential to maintain a good immune system. They're also a great source of folate, thiamin and Vitamin B6 as well as iron, manganese and phosphorous. They are perfect for adding to soups and salads.
Green Lentil Salad GF SCD
450g cooked green lentils or 2 cartons cooked organic green lentils
350g broccoli (or one small head)
200g frozen peas
½ small red or white onion
1 heaped tblsp fresh chopped parsley
60ml extra virgin olive oil
30ml fresh lemon juice
3 crushed cloves garlic
½tsp mustard powder
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Make the dressing by measuring all the ingredients into a clean jar.Give the jar a good shake and set on one side.
- Chop the broccoli into small florets.
- Tip into a pan or steamer with the frozen peas.
- Steam for about 10 minutes until just tender.
- Meanwhile slice or chop the onion finely and cover with a little vinegar or lemon juice, this helps to remove the sharpness of the onion. The longer you soak, the sweeter the onion.
- Chop the parsley.
- Rinse the lentils well and tip into the bowl.
- Drain the vinegar or lemon juice from the onion and add to the bowl with the broccoli and peas and gently mix together.
- Pour over the dressing and sprinkle with chopped parsley.
- Cover and place in the fridge until you are ready to eat.
If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).