Once I'd discovered the joys of onion bhajis, the wonderful, spicy, flavour packed crispy little balls of onions bound together with a batter full of delicious, fragrant spices, I was hooked! But they are not suitable for the Specific Carbohydrate Diet so I created a SCD legal version - not quite the same but still packed full of flavour.
Onion Bhajis SCD GF
2 medium onions
60g ground almonds (almond flour)
80ml SCD Yogurt
1 large egg
15ml melted butter
¼tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp ground cummin
1 tsp SCD legal garam masala
⅛ tsp SCD legal chilli powder
1 - 2 tablsps fresh chopped coriander (optional)
extra virgin olive oil
sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Turn the oven on to 180°C. Melt the butter and leave to cool.
- Measure out the spices.
- Gently heat about half a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan.
- Slice the onions into thin slices then tip them into the pan and fry gently for a couple of minutes stirring regularly until slightly softened.
- Put the onions on one side to cool.
- Pour the almond flour into a bowl and add the bicarbonate of soda, salt and pepper to taste.
- Break an egg into another bowl and add the yogurt, whisk well then pour on to the ground almonds with the cooled melted butter and whisk until well combined. The resulting mixture should be quite thick but still drop easily off a spoon.
- Whisk in the spices.
- Add the cooled onions to the mix and stir well. If you are using chopped coriander, add it now and stir in.
- Heat about a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a frying pan until hot.
- Drop heaped spoonfuls of the mix into the pan then fry on a medium heat until the batter is cooked, turning half way through.
- Place on an oven-proof tray and cook in the oven for a further 10 to 15 minutes.
If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).