Sunday was our family birthday get together and it was my turn to host! Most of our birth signs are Cancer or Leo and I try to cook dishes that everyone can enjoy but which don't appear to be too out of the ordinary to most our guests. I made this flan as one of the dishes for our buffet.
The unusual tablecloth in the picture above was a gift from my son and daughter-in-law and was bought in Australia when they went on their around the world travels just over four years ago. The design is by Aborigine artist, Julie Nabangardi Shedden, and is called Bush Tucker.
Grain Free Cheese and Vegetable Flan GF SCD
SCD Savoury Pastry
350 g ground almonds (almond flour)
90 g organic butter or coconut butter
1 tblsp water
½ tsp salt
¼ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 head of broccoli
1 medium courgette
180 g mushrooms
1 clove garlic
150 g cheddar cheese plus extra for the top
60 ml SCD yogurt
extra virgin olive oil
salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Set the oven to 170°C.
- Lightly grease a 20cm flan dish with butter.
- Measure out the ground almonds and pour into the food processor bowl. Cut the butter into small pieces and add to the almonds with the bicarbonate of soda and salt.
- Pulse a few times until the butter and the flour start to come together. Add the water slowly and pulse a few more times until the pastry forms a ball. Don't over process or it will start to form a batter.
- Take out of the processor bowl and press into the flan dish with your fingertips.
- Place the dish in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to chill. This can be done the night before if you wish. Place into the oven and bake for 10 to 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Chop the broccoli into florets and either steam it or add it to a little cold water, bring to the boil and cook for 10 to 15 minutes until tender.
- Chop the onions finely and slice the courgettes. Crush the garlic then heat a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in a deep frying pan, tip in the vegetables fry gently for about 15 minutes until the onions are translucent and the courgettes are soft and browned a little.
- Meanwhile heat half a tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil in another pan, slice the mushrooms and gently fry for about five minutes. Drain the excess liquid and add to the cooked onion and courgette.
- Grate the cheese and add to the vegetables, season with salt and freshly ground black pepper, pour in the SCD yogurt and gently mix together.
- Arrange the cooked broccoli in the flan case.
- Pour the filling on top and spread out evenly.
- Add extra cheese on top at this point.
- Bake at 160°C for 35 to 40 minutes until the cheese starts to brown.
You can use any combination of vegetables. I often make a garden vegetable flan using carrots, courgettes, onions, fresh green beans and peas. It's lovely either warm or cold.
If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).