This vegetable stock is very simple to make and can be used in soups, sauces and casseroles. It doesn't contain vegetable fat or sugar which are so often found in commercial stocks.
Vegetable Stock GF SCD
2 medium onions or 1 medium onion & 1 leek
1 stalk of celery
3 cloves garlic
12 black peppercorns
2 sprigs of thyme
4 or 5 stalks of parsley
2 bay leaves
- Slice the onion.
- Slice the stick of celery in two down the middle and chop into chunks.
- Wash and cut the carrot into chunky round pieces. You don't need to remove the skin especially if they are young carrots.
- Peel the garlic and squash with the blade of a knife.
- Tip all the vegetables into a pan.
- Add the herbs and peppercorns.
- Cover the vegetables with filtered water.
- Add a large pinch of sea salt (or to taste).
- Put a lid on the pan and bring to the boil. Turn the heat down a little then leave on a rolling boil for 30 minutes.
- Strain the vegetables.
- For a more concentrated stock, boil until the liquid is reduced further.
- This recipe makes about one pint of stock.
Cool quickly and store for up to three days in the fridge in a container with a lid. To freeze, boil the stock on a high heat until it has reduced by half. Cool and pour into ice cube trays to freeze and store in a plastic bag or container in the freezer. Then just add one or two to your recipe liquid.