This very tasty gravy recipe is a breeze to prepare and doesn't rely on anything other than the onions, celery and carrots to thicken it so, for followers of a grain free diet, it's perfect. We make it regularly to pour over our burgers and nut roasts.
Onion Gravy GF SCD
2 or 3 medium onions
500 ml water or vegetable stock (approx)
1 stick celery - optional
1 tsp dried parsley
1 tsp dried sage
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp fine sea salt or to taste
finely ground black pepper
½ tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- Heat the extra virgin olive oil in a deep pan. Slice the onions finely, tip into the pan and cook on a medium to high heat, stirring regularly, until they soften and start to caramelise.
- Cover with water or vegetable stock.
- Add the carrots, celery, herbs, sea salt and black pepper and cook gently until the onions, celery and carrots are soft.
- Top up with more water or stock if necessary.
- Blend the gravy with a hand blender.
If you would like to keep up with my posts, please join me on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter and subscribe by email (top right).